Christin's Reviews > The Engagements

The Engagements by J. Courtney Sullivan

The premise of this book is totally predictable, but getting there is truly a pleasure and quite inventive. Sullivan has a smooth, readable style that I admire more and more with each successive novel. She writes tight prose and credible characters that are fun to meet, even if some may come across as slightly insufferable or preachy. I haven't read Maine yet, but I feel like as a Smithie, she feels honor-bound to have at least one token strident feminist in every novel. The fact that I just used the phrase "strident feminist" as a devout feminist makes me loathe myself a little, but critique is part of the work; I still believe such politically-conscious characters could be achieved without making them ring (pun intended) as obnoxious. I think Sullivan needs to work on that. The true center and delight of The Engagements was Sullivan's portrayal of real-life Peggy-Olsenesque diamond advertiser, Frances Geretty. She was a true maverick, and I think Sullivan's depiction offers fitting tribute.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Engagements.

Finished Reading