Mary's Reviews > Looking for Me

Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman

bookshelves: 2013-book-challenge, all-time-faves, southern-fiction, hardcover-paperback-own
Recommended for: southern charm, fiction, tear jerker, heartfelt

Looking For Me has earned THE top spot as my all time favorite novel. I LOVE this story!! Beth Hoffman, consider me an ultimate fan. Thank you for creating this jewel. Everything about this beautifully written tale of Teddi Overman's search for her life's passion is perfect. I just want to hug my favorite book over and over. LFM will forever more be that book on my bookshelf that, when I glance at it, I will be reminded of not only how great it was but how great it made me feel with each passing chapter.

Know the feeling I speak of? You know right from the beginning it's going to be that book that you can't put down. Please don't let life disturb me until I finish reading one more page, one more chapter. As I read, LFM became my go-to happy place and then there would be the realization that this story could be my story, the moments are so relatable. My favorite books have the ability to make me feel and experience so many different emotions. Laughter and tears. And, let me tell you, there were many tears. It is not often that I become so engrossed that I cry while reading but there were several parts that just had me sobbing. A favorite story can do that because it is believable and genuine.

LFM is that kind of book. I would read a little further and then the written words of Beth Hoffman would grab me and take me for a spin on an emotional roller coaster. I'd find myself personally touched by moments in Teddi's life that were familiar to events in my own life and then I would stop, hold my place and stare at the cover of this amazing novel. When something suspenseful occurs, I mark my place again with my finger and hurry towards the back of the book to count the last page yet again. What page am I on? O.K. I've got (x) amount of pages left. Please don't let it end. I want to remain with Teddi and her loveable little dog, Eddie. Still, I can't turn the pages fast enough because I need to know that Teddi's life will be alright and as perfect as I think it should be.

Will Teddi find herself and true happiness in Charleston or Kentucky? Will Teddi ever repair the relationship with her mother? Will Teddi find all that she seeks? A home of her own, acceptance, forgiveness, love? And, what about Josh?

LFM is filled with a great supporting cast of characters I want to get to know personally. The mystical Josh. Sweet Mr. Palmer. Grumpy, quiet Albert and the thieving, sticky-fingered, Miz Tula Jane Poteet. I loved Teddi's BFF, Olivia. The conversations shared between the two friends could just as well have been a conversation I had with my own BFF. Like this brilliant novel, the characters are genuine. LFM also contained many of the things I am passionate about in my life. Great family, antiques, nature and wildlife conservation and animal rescue, Southern charm and old homes. Teddi's is a story about all of these things, including hope and finding love in the most unexpected of places, when one is least likely to be looking. LFM had just the right amount of mystery and suspense for me. I really could not predict the ending. There were fantastical moments of happiness and moments of profound loss and sadness that seemed to almost gut me. All were moments I could relate to, one way or another. LFM definitely found it's way to my heart. Did I mention that I loved this book?

An excerpt from the book: Looking For Me by Beth Hoffman,

"We sift and seek and question as we try to discover our truths and the truths of those we love, and sometimes when we least expect it, a mystery we never knew existed gets solved while all else remains unanswered."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Me.

Quotes Mary Liked

Beth Hoffman
“Never tie your happiness to the tail of someone else's kite.”
Beth Hoffman, Looking for Me

July 17, 2013 – Shelved
July 17, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 12, 2013 – Started Reading
August 12, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013-book-challenge
August 13, 2013 –
page 47
13.28% "I have only just begun to read Beth Hoffman's book, Looking For Me, and already I know that I am reading what will become a book on my "All-Time-Favorite" Goodread list. I want to hug myself for finding such a great read. You know what I'm talking about; it's one of those books that makes you feel like you've stepped into the pages and are sitting somewhere near, watching the story play out before your eyes."
August 13, 2013 – Shelved as: all-time-faves
August 16, 2013 – Finished Reading
November 2, 2013 – Shelved as: southern-fiction
September 24, 2019 – Shelved as: hardcover-paperback-own

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Machel Just finished LFM and feel just like you do about this novel! Looved it. Great review.

Mary Thank you, Machel. Yes! It was an amazing story. Beth has a way with words and the ability to make those words come to life. I cannot wait for her next novel. Glad you enjoyed LFM.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I Hi Mary, I found a quote I liked on your profile page and came right over to the books page. The synopsis and your review have me all welled up with tears. So much relatable it hurts inside and I'm always looking out for books that I can relate to on some level that might feed me some Hope out of deep loss, pure agony going on inside, inability to find myself, get back up when you don't think you can find it in you to do it just one more time because you've done it so many times before that after holding onto Hope til your insides are so raw that you finally let go of that too. Thank you for such a wonderful review. This is one I'm definitely going to try to get asap. Happy Reading and thanks again.

message 4: by Mary (last edited Jun 30, 2014 04:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Wow!! Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments!! That makes me feel great and TRUST ME...I know ALL TOO WELL about being hopeless and bottom-of-the-barrel-DOWN!! Lost my youngest child when she was only 8. I never thought I would be normal again. However, it is 12 years later and I am (almost) normal. lol. See? I can find humor in the deepest of dark thoughts. This I could not say 12 years ago. Spent an ENTIRE YEAR in my room, in bed. My daughter was my everything and it is so unnatural for a mother to bury a child. As they say, it is NOT the natural order of things. I digress. Let me just say that I read Saving CeeCee Honeycutt before I read Looking for Me. Had it not been for my love of the latter I would have never found Looking for Me which have now BOTH become two of my ALL TIME FAVORITES...EVER!! Hoffman's writing is magical. I was so into both books that I had fantasies of living with the characters. Ha! Point is, both books were lyrical. They spoke to me and I can tell you that I had several conversations with Beth Hoffman afterwards and she is just as genuine as her characters. Both of the protagonists from each book felt a little bit like myself and when I spoke to Beth I felt like she and I were kindred souls. Perhaps it is that books and authors have a magical way of finding us, our moods, when we are most in need of THAT book, the message it carries. Teddi, main character from Looking for Me reminded me of, well, ME!! I definitely DO recommend this lovely book and Saving CeeCee Honeycutt.(I think I reviewed that, too.) I hope it touches you the way it did me. Please keep me posted and let me know what ya think afterwards. Again, thank you for the generous comments. Touched my heart today. :)