Ash's Reviews > Golden: A Retelling of Rapunzel

Golden by Cameron Dokey

Aug 11, 2009

Read in August, 2009

This is a very original take on the classic fairy-tale of Rapunzel. Instead of the sorceress being an evil old women who locks Rapunzel up in a tower until she's saved by the prince, it's COMPLETELY different.
Quick Overview: Rapunzel is born completely bald, the one stuck in a tower is the sorceress's daughter Rue, who is not put there by the sorceress, and the prince doesn't technically save anyone from a tower. The sorceress finds Rapunzal's father stealing rapunzel(of course) from her garden. She makes a bargain with him and his wife. If they cannot love the child as she is born than the sorceress will keep her. Rapunzel's mother is a beautiful but shallow woman, and when she sees that the child is completely bald she simply can't love her. The father, though heart broken must keep his word. The sorceress raises Rapunzel as her own daughter and she grows up to be a smart and confident girl. But things are soon going to change for her.
This was just a really nice read and I loved how all the characters were potrayed. Everything played out just perfectly and I much prefer this one than the original tale. I really would've prefered that the book be longer. The characters could have been fleshed out better and the second half of the book seemed to wrap up too quickly. A very good and original story, but would have liked it to be a little longer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden.

08/18/2009 page 256
100% "Ha-ha, in your face! I finished it! School is really cramping into my reading>" 3 comments

Cara I know I'm loving this series. It has very original takes on the classic fairy tales. It's so cool how everything connects.