Travis's Reviews > Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Aug 10, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: crime-mystery
Read in August, 2009

Like most I read Darkly Dreaming Dexter after already falling in love with the Showtime show Dexter. I usually wait to read other readers reviews until after I write my own but I read a few anyway. It seemed that this book was very polarizing. It seemed like people loved or hated the book with few in between.

I rather enjoyed Darkly Dreaming Dexter and the only problem I had reading the book was with myself. Trying to shut off my brain from comparing the show from it's source material was rather hard at first. My main hurtle was hoping that the book would live separately from the show. I just didn't want to reread Dexter season one. So I was pleasantly surprised to see the book make it way away from the show within the last four (or so) chapters left in the book.

I did enjoy comparing the character differences from the book and the show and like certain changes and dislike others and vis versa. But nothing really ruined anything for me. I enjoy the changes the show has and the book. I like to think that these two materials can exist together and separately from each other.

I am looking forward to reading the next book in the Dexter series and picking up Dexter by Design when it comes out in September and watching the show when it premiers around the same time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkly Dreaming Dexter.