Baba 's Reviews > Lick

Lick by Kylie Scott

DNF at 61 %. No official rating from moi. When I started reading Lick I said I wouldn't rate it IF I wouldn't like it. I keep my word although I must say it was no more than a two-star read. Review posted July 23, 2013

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-07-18um194751_zpsf0a2dd66.png

That's exactly what a lot of authors are doing these days and there is no need to beat around the bush. THAT'S. NOT. GOOD. ENOUGH. FOR. ME.

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-07-18um195036_zps40e7cc8e.png

The beginning was kinda cute, nothing mind-boggling, nothing amazingly good, but still. What I noticed right off the bat was the constant description of David's facial expression. Seriously? I really don't get it why an author would keep on writing about the same ole stuff. The eyebrow thingy or the scowling or whatnot. IT WAS TEDIOUS. This being said, it was good enough until they left to go to his house in Monterey aaaaand the whole thing went down the drain once and for all. I didn't get it why Ev was talking about TRUE LOVE two or three days after she WANTED to sign the divorce papers. Now that was a quick change of mind and so not believable. Overall Lick is another so-called rock star story that was simply 'blah'. Add in the fact that I've read How to Kill a Rock Star before I gave Lick a shot and a little disaster was bound to occur. These two books are worlds apart. HtKaRS is the best of the best. In all honesty, I hadn't expected to read another book of this epic magnitude but Lick licked lacked big time. I don't mean to go into details now because I don't want to waste my time by listing all my issues. All I will say is:

This book bored me and the sex was uninspiring. Besides, the characters were too bland and there was nothing badass about David either. The dialogue was weird at times. Ev talking about "it" made me roll my eyes. Call things as they are. Ev, baby, read my lips. C@ck, dick or whatever. It's not an "it." And a twitching c@ck shouldn't startle you either. You touched his c@ck. What did you expect? As long as no one is going to cut the dick off, "it" will move, you know? *facepalm*

"Cute. Are you on the pill?"
(…)
"I care about your periods, Ev. Honest to fuck I do." He kissed my cheeks, my forehead.
"Thanks."
"But right now I wanna know how you feel about us going bare?"
"You mean more than losing the shirts, I take it?"
"I mean f@cking without a condom."

Um…that's the point where I decided that I've had enough of Ev and her husband and abandoned the book.

Now we're coming to the good part coz I need a goody to give me solace. I'm a fan of Myles Kennedy and Alter Bridge. The man can sing, he plays a mean guitar and he writes great songs. And let's not forget his sexy arms. Yum! What more could a heart desire?

photo tumblr_mf75bn20KV1rm70dxo1_500_zpsb4e88135.gif

photo tumblr_mq1ktvxnA61r45vi1o1_400_zps2a5743ff.gif

photo tumblr_mk4kfxvRvi1rsntc8o1_500_zpsc12e42d9.gif

Yeah, Myles doesn't make me whole but he sure makes me happy with his music. Seeing Alter Bridge live was one hell of an experience. Good memories...

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-07-18um193951_zpsd5f68fa9.png

P.S. The cover was definitely better than the story.

P.P.S. I liked Mal. The guy was pretty fun and cool.

No need to dwell on it. Onwards...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lick.

Started Reading
July 1, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 16, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 16, 2013 – Shelved
July 16, 2013 –
0.0% " photo tumblr_mnrc4ckuVh1ruufi4o2_500_zps8d517494.gif\n Let's see what the fuss is all about...*licks lips*"
July 17, 2013 –
28.0% "I stopped breathing. „You want to kiss me?“\n „You don’t want me to kiss you?“\n “No,” I said quickly. “I’m okay with you kissing me.”\n He bit back a smile. “That’s very kind of you.”\n “And this kiss is for the purposes of scientific research?”\n \n This is kinda cute so far."
July 18, 2013 –
53.0% "I'm sorry but this is just too "blah" and bland for me. Let this be over soon."
July 22, 2013 –
60.0% "DNF Can't hold a candle to How to Kill a Rock Star. :("
July 22, 2013 – Shelved as: coup-de-grâce
July 22, 2013 – Shelved as: rolls-eyes
July 23, 2013 – Shelved as: books-everyone-loved-but-baba
July 23, 2013 – Shelved as: dnf
August 11, 2013 – Shelved as: new-adult-or-young-adult

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Looking forward to your review Baba, sorry it didn't work for you. :(

message 2: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Rosalinda wrote: "Looking forward to your review Baba, sorry it didn't work for you. :("

Thanks, Rosa. I read it after HtKaRS, soooooo that's no wonder at all. :)

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Looking forward to your review Baba, sorry it didn't work for you. :("

Thanks, Rosa. I read it after HtKaRS, soooooo that's no wonder at all. :)"

I know, I had a few bad experiences and also DNF a book after HTKARS but didn't even bother to rate. I think HTKARS has that effect hehe.

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ Bummer. Ya can't win them all I guess. Moving on...

message 5: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Rosalinda wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Looking forward to your review Baba, sorry it didn't work for you. :("

Thanks, Rosa. I read it after HtKaRS, soooooo that..."

Yep, I can imagine. This was so disappointing compared to HtKaRS. Anyway...onwards...

message 6: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Allison *Will never conquer her tbr list* wrote: "Bummer. Ya can't win them all I guess. Moving on..."

Yes, that's true. :)

Kristen Sorry this book didn't work for you. It didn't work for me either but for a very different reason. LOL. Nicely done, sweetie.

message 8: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Kristen (Peddler of Smut) wrote: "Sorry this book didn't work for you. It didn't work for me either but for a very different reason. LOL. Nicely done, sweetie."

Thanks, hon. Yes, I remember you were not too happy either. :) *mwah*

message 9: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Lisa wrote: "Sorry this book was not for you, Baba! I am looking forward to your review though to see your take on this book."

Thank you, Lisa. When you read one epic rock star book then it's difficult to find another one that will live up to your high expectations. This one failed. :)

Blacky *Romance Addict* Sorry it didn't work out Baba!

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤  Wonderful review sweet Baba!!
What a pity you didn't like it :/

message 12: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Blacky *Mistress of Doom* wrote: "Sorry it didn't work out Baba!"

Thanks, Blacky. :)

message 13: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Pavlina loves Derek,Wesley and Dex❤❤ wrote: "Wonderful review sweet Baba!!
What a pity you didn't like it :/"

Ahhh, it happens, Pavlina. Thank you. :))

message 14: by Ilhem (new)

Ilhem I love Little Red Hood and her biker!
You made your point very clearly.:)

Geri Reads Onto the next read, Baba. ♥

Tami D@mn, already bought it... great review, Baba!

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party "Lick licked lacked"...oh, I see what you did there! ;)

Sorry you had to endure such a dull read (I too hate it when an author keeps describing the same facial expression over and over again). Hopefully your next book will be much better, Baba!

message 18: by * Meli Mel * (new) - added it

* Meli Mel * Sorry this didn't work for you Baba.
Great review!!

message 19: by Nat O (new)

Nat O It was a crash and burn, oh so sorry it didn't work for you B! Better luck with the next read.

message 20: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Ilhem wrote: "I love Little Red Hood and her biker!
You made your point very clearly.:)"

Me too, Ilhem. Thank you. :))

message 21: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  ♥~♥Geri's~EverAfterRomance ♥~♥ wrote: "Onto the next read, Baba. ♥"

Yep. I'm all for that. :))

message 22: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Tami wrote: "D@mn, already bought it... great review, Baba!"

Thanks, Tami. Just give it a try coz the average rating is very high and it might be another case it's not the book, it's me. Good luck! :))

message 23: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Soraya Naomi wrote: "That is exactly why I'm reluctant to read this!!! Fab and honest review, B"

Thank you, Soraya. Still, you might enjoy this one, the average rating is very high. Whatever you decide, good luck! :))

message 24: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  David Green - Proud member of Team Perry! wrote: ""Lick licked lacked"...oh, I see what you did there! ;)

Lol I thought I could cheer up my review a little bit, David. The more I read the more annoyed I get when I have to deal with repetitiveness. I just don't have the patience anymore. Thank you, David. :))

message 25: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Meli Mel *Ty and Zane's Creeper* wrote: "Sorry this didn't work for you Baba.
Great review!!"

Thank you, Meli. :))

message 26: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Sanaa wrote: "It was a crash and burn, oh so sorry it didn't work for you B! Better luck with the next read."

Yes, it was a crash, Sanaa. No need to dwell on it though. Thanks! :))

La-Lionne Great review, Baba. I, too, thought that the story took turn for the shitterland after she went to his house (but you already know that ;-)). My husband this, my husband that... Wtf? The beginning was good, but that's all this book has. The heroine character was all over the place.

message 28: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  La-Lionne wrote: "Great review, Baba. I, too, thought that the story took turn for the shitterland after she went to his house (but you already know that ;-)). My husband this, my husband that... Wtf? The beginning ..."

Thanks, Jurgita. Yes, I know we share some of the same issues. It's nice to know though, coz it makes me feel a little bit less lonely. :))))

message 29: by La-Lionne (last edited Jul 23, 2013 11:45AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

La-Lionne Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Great review, Baba. I, too, thought that the story took turn for the shitterland after she went to his house (but you already know that ;-)). My husband this, my husband that... W..."

No, you are not alone ;-). But my god, the number of 5 and 4 star reviews is mind-blowing :-O.

message 30: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Excellente!! (not sure if I spelled that right!!LOL) ANYHOO...great review Baba, I appreciate your honesty, and I really am not surprised it wasn't you thing..I guess we can't win them all! Hope you had a wonderful day!

message 31: by Katina (new) - added it

Katina Sorry this wasn't what you wanted it to be, Baba! I already purchased this book so I guess I'll try it.... hopefully it wont be too bad...ugh! Hope your next book is amazing!

message 32: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  La-Lionne wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Great review, Baba. I, too, thought that the story took turn for the shitterland after she went to his house (but you alre..."

Yep. Sad thing is I choose my books by their average ratings. Seems to be a mistake now and then. :))

message 33: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Jen wrote: "Excellente!! (not sure if I spelled that right!!LOL) ANYHOO...great review Baba, I appreciate your honesty, and I really am not surprised it wasn't you thing..I guess we can't win them all! Hope yo..."

Lol Tu veux écrire en français, Jen? C'est excellent. Ok. Joking aside, in German you'd write "exzellent" but "exzellent" is actually a "Fremdwort"; so we'd translate it to "ausgezeichnet". Gosh, this is kinda difficult, right?
Yep, it wasn't my cup of tea and thanks for your comment, Jen.
My day was great and I hope yours will be wonderful too!

message 34: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Katina wrote: "Sorry this wasn't what you wanted it to be, Baba! I already purchased this book so I guess I'll try it.... hopefully it wont be too bad...ugh! Hope your next book is amazing!"

Thank you, Katina. I say you should give it a go coz so many readers loved it. Good luck! :)))

message 35: by Kelly (last edited Jul 24, 2013 05:57AM) (new)

Kelly Sorry his one didn't work for you, B, but fantastic and honest review. On the plus side, I love the gifs of Alterbridge and Slash. Very cool!! :)))

message 36: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Entertaining review Baba. :D I'm gonna have to read HtKaRS.

message 37: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Ann wrote: "Entertaining review Baba. :D I'm gonna have to read HtKaRS."

Thanks, Ann. Hope you enjoy HtKaRS. :)

message 38: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Kelly wrote: "Sorry his one didn't work for you, B, but fantastic and honest review. On the plus side, I love the gifs of Alterbridge and Slash. Very cool!! :)))"

Thanks, Kels. I love those gifs too! *mwah* :))

Glamdring Great review, Baba! :)

message 40: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Glamdring wrote: "Great review, Baba! :)
I totally agree with you about the equation and unfortunately that also happens in a lot of "sport" books :("

Thanks, Glam. It's really uninspiring. :/

message 41: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Great review, Baba! I'm laughing at your little talk about "it"! LMAO! :)

Duchess Nicole Sounds like a lot of books coming out lately. Nicely said, Baba. I'll be passing on this one.

message 43: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Onward Baba...

message 44: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Karla wrote: "Onward Baba..."

I'm kinda stuck ATM. :)

message 45: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Duchess Nicole **Loves Swiss Chocolate** wrote: "Sounds like a lot of books coming out lately. Nicely said, Baba. I'll be passing on this one."

Thank you, Nicole. This is another book that many loved but unfortunately did not work out for me. So...you might as well give it a try. Just saying... :))

message 46: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Great review, Baba! I'm laughing at your little talk about "it"! LMAO! :)"

Thank you, Rachel. I guess it added a nice touch to my review. ;-))

Duchess Nicole Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Duchess Nicole **Loves Swiss Chocolate** wrote: "Sounds like a lot of books coming out lately. Nicely said, Baba. I'll be passing on this one."

Thank you, Nicole. This is another book that many ..."

I read and liked this author's post apocalyptic book and loved it, so we'll see.

message 48: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Duchess Nicole **Loves Swiss Chocolate** wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Duchess Nicole **Loves Swiss Chocolate** wrote: "Sounds like a lot of books coming out lately. Nicely said, Baba. I'll be passing on this ..."

Good. :)

message 49: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Karla wrote: "Onward Baba..."

I'm kinda stuck ATM. :)"

It happens...just take a breather!

message 50: by Baba (new) - added it

Baba  Karla wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Marcus, Tyler, Tate, Dan, Ty, & Hunter wrote: "Karla wrote: "Onward Baba..."

I'm kinda stuck ATM. :)"

It happens...just take a breather!"

Lol I just decided to do a re-read of one of my favorite books. I'm sure that's gonna help big time! :)))

« previous 1