Shelly's Reviews > The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic

The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic by Emily Croy Barker

bookshelves: fantasy-and-science-fiction

AAAAAAARRRGGGH!!! I had the good fortune of seeing a couple of reviews that warned that this book is meant to be the first in an intended series so I suspected that it would not have a satisfactory ending. Knowing beforehand doesn't leave me any less frustrated by the lack of a proper ending and eager for its sequel. The story of a modern woman, Nora, stuck in a magical other world is completely engrossing and the relationship between Nora and her rescuer, Aruendiel, is its driving force. And what a ride. "The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic" is like a roller-coaster ride of events and emotions. Aside from the frustration of the ending, the only short-coming in this intelligently written fantasy are the few times when the story tends to drag, but they are brief and very important.

If anyone knows of any similar fantasy fiction, feel free to recommend it to me as I wait for the next book by Ms. Barker. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thinking Woman's Guide to Real Magic.

July 16, 2013 – Shelved