Jenelle's Reviews > Once Upon a Time

Once Upon a Time by Alan Garner

Aug 10, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: kids-books, fairy-tale

The complete title of this book is: ONCE UPON A TIME, THOUGH IT WASN'T IN YOUR TIME, AND IT WASN'T IN MY TIME, AND IT WASN'T IN ANYBODY ELSE'S TIME...

So based on that title, I kinda expected a comical take on a few fairy tales. But I was so so wrong.

Actually, there are just three obscure folk tales here, and for good reason: they're weird. But then, most fairy tales out of Grimms and Anderson are really weird too, but they get cleaned up so much we don't even know it.

What I didn't see until I was done, was the dust jacket info that explained things a bit better. First, the author is a storyteller, "particularly adept at hearing the poetry of folktales. By reproducing the spoken rhythms of the oral tradition, he creates wonderful stories for reading aloud." Ahhhh. Makes more sense now. I'm thinking Timpanogos Storytelling Festival type of stuff.

Also helpful was the line on the back cover describing the stories as having "the logic of dreams." HA! They couldn't be more accurate, cause that's totally how they feel.

If I had started with those bits of knowledge it would have been a little less odd.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Time.