Kirstine's Reviews > Who Goes There?

Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell Jr.

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction, horror, own, ebooks, reviewed, 1-men

"No thing made by intelligent beings can tangle with the dead immensity of a planet's natural forces and survive."

I didn't know this was a novel before I watched the movie. I might never have known, had it not been one of amazon's kindle daily deals. However, I do know and I've read it and I rather enjoyed it.

The premise is brilliantly thought up. 37 men isolated on Antarctica with a shape-shifting alien. Who's real, who isn't? And for these men to battle something they don't know a thing about, well, it's interesting. Sadly, the atmosphere is hardly suspenseful and moments that could have been horrifying are overly scientific, removing any horror one might have felt.

I admire that everything is explained so well, that these men seem like intellectuals - that they're not just a bunch of badass dudes huddled together in a ice-hut in the wild. They're scientists. However, it could have used a little more focus on the psychological strains these men must be under. Some place are very rushed as well, and even after re-reading some paragraphs I had a hard time figuring out what had actually just happened.

Still, a good read, but I prefer the movie.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Goes There?.

July 16, 2013 – Started Reading
February 3, 2014 – Shelved as: own
February 3, 2014 – Shelved as: ebooks
June 26, 2014 – Shelved as: reviewed
November 14, 2015 – Shelved as: 1-men

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party Didn't know the movie was actually based on a book...that's exactly how I felt when I found out this book existed - Forrest Gump! Didn't even know it was a book until years after I saw the movie!

Kirstine David Green - Proud member of Team Perry! wrote: "Didn't know the movie was actually based on a book...that's exactly how I felt when I found out this book existed - Forrest Gump! Didn't even know it was a book until years after I saw the movie!"

Ha! I didn't know Forrest Gump was a book either. Ah, the things you learn.