Chris (The Genre Fiend)'s Reviews > The Disaster Artist: My Life Inside The Room, the Greatest Bad Movie Ever Made

The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero

Hilarious. Outlandish. Heartfelt. Irritating (Tommy, not the book itself).

Words that barely do justice not only to The Room itself, but also to the chronicle of both its birth and the genesis of probably one of the weirdest Hollywood friendships ever. Sestero and Bissell have written an outstanding book that caters to Room fans, Tommy Wiseau enthusiasts, filmmaking aficionados and anyone who just wants a damn good laugh reading a damn good piece.

Admittedly it'll only really grab you if, like me, you watched The Room and found it horrifically fascinating, like a pre-planned trainwreck messing up an orphanage, as there's (obviously) a ton of in-jokes and references to the fandom that go beyond what's in the script (or, rather, what little pieces of it were given to the cast at any given time) or on screen. Even if, like my dear parents, you could only make it 12 minutes into The Room before screaming profanity and defenestrating the television, you might still like the book.

Personally, I bloody loved it. It's rare for a book to make me laugh out loud the way Disaster Artist did, and for someone who's not usually a big fan of behind-the-scenes write-ups or autobiographical work it had me riveted from the start in a way I'd not felt before when reading anything from either of those writerly categories.

A solid book. Highly recommended.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Disaster Artist.

July 15, 2013 – Shelved