Julie's Reviews > Wild Earth, Wild Soul: A Manual for an Ecstatic Culture

Wild Earth, Wild Soul by Bill Pfeiffer

bookshelves: non-fiction

Anyone who cares about his or her own quality of life and worries even a bit about the future needs this book. As you read it, you will feel profound relief and hope and know that you can be a part of an ongoing shift in consciousness and behavior that will ripple across generations. First, a slight detour.

“Thus nature's human link and endless thrall,
Proud man, still seems the enemy of all.”

These last two lines from an early 19th-century poem, "Summer Evening" by John Clare, could be the anthem of modern industrialized human culture. That old story of domination, subjugation and exploitation is so ingrained in us that it even infects would-be activists and change agents, who often use the language of war and conflict, rather than love and connection.

Fortunately, we can put all that behind us now. “Wild Earth, Wild Soul,” helps us wake up to the fact that we are NOT "the enemy of all." It gives us the tools to reconsider our cultural conditioning and provides a tested framework for experiencing what it’s like to live a life of belonging, connection, creativity and joy.

We're a smart species, techno-savvy and capable of doing incredible things, but as long as we continue to believe a false story of separation from “the rest of nature,” we cannot effectively change much. Some centuries back, we moderns stepped off the path of oneness with Creation that aboriginal cultures have trod for thousands of years. We have lost their deep sense of belonging.

This book is a practical manual to organize and guide experiences of living from love and respect for all of creation. The work is both experimental and grounded in centuries-old practices. It’s underpinned with time-honored and emerging truths such as:

• Human beings are one with the rest of life
• The future is created now through our powerful ability to vision and dream
• We thrive in community
• The earth is alive and full of meaning – and guidance
• Ancient wisdom is mirrored by 21st century science

I’ve studied many approaches to sustainability and change, from those that issue dire warnings (“The End of Nature”), to works that place great faith in technology (“Hot, Flat, and Crowded”), to behavioral methods (“Switch”), and all the way over to the deeply spiritual (“Ishmael”).

“Wild Earth, Wild Soul” is the only resource I know of that integrates physical reality (science, ecology, physics), emotional experience, sacredness and wisdom traditions into an accessible, practical package for anyone to try. It is a great gift.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Earth, Wild Soul.

July 15, 2013 – Started Reading