Bill's Reviews > Earth Unaware

Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction
Recommended for: Enderverse Fangasmic Types

Ender's Game is one of the Masterpieces of Science Fiction space opera literature. This novel, the 1st in a trilogy of prequels expands on the Formic wars, mentioned in Ender's Game.

This 1st prequel is a disappointment. My take is that it was only written to line the pockets of the authors and publishers, esp with it and its sequels coming out with the EG movie. Even this 1st book ends without being a standalone. I suspect the prequels are a single book split into 3 just to make more money.

All of the EG ephemera, including comics and all sorts of collectibles underscores this opinion. Ender's Game will end up being trivialized by all the marketing and PR as was LOTR. Pity those who see the movie before reading EG and Speaker for the Dead...

As ordinary Solar System space opera it is readable, just nothing special. It requires no thought and lacks the gray ethical/moral conflicts in the original novel. 'Tis sad.

An aside— Since learning of Card's extreme homophobia, I only have acquired used books to avoid giving any money to Card and will do so when used DVD's of the movie become available, even if more expensive.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earth Unaware.

July 15, 2013 – Shelved
July 15, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 29, 2013 – Started Reading
August 1, 2013 – Finished Reading
August 2, 2013 – Shelved as: science-fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Victoria_Grossack Grossack Agreed. How sad it is when an author does this - Card cannot need the money, so why not do good art?

I have problems not just with his homophobia but one of his novels that I read about one of the founding women of the Mormon church. I'm not necessarily against polygamy, but the way it was written up actually disgusted me (although it seemed to be trying to justify it).

There are a few other authors whose personal lives leave a bad taste in the brain. Piers Anthony, for example, shows far too much interest in carnal relations with very young girls.

message 2: by Andrew (new)

Andrew I read the first three books of what is now called "Ender's Saga" many years ago and really enjoyed them. This was before I knew about his homophobia. Since then I have avoided his books but I do like your approach of only buying second hand copies.