Ryan Lawler's Reviews > Manifesto UF

Manifesto UF by Tim Marquitz

(Review from the author)

Note: My short story "Break Free" is included in this anthology. I'll try to keep this as unbiased as possible, but I have to say I'm pretty psyched about all the quality stories surrounding my own. I just hope my story can at least hold its own next to the rest.

So yeah, this is a very high quality urban fantasy anthology, put together by Tim Marquitz and Tyson Mauermann. Urban fantasy is a broad genre, and spectrum of stories in this anthology are just as broad, from classical monster hunting, to biblical showdowns, and other stories that are just weird and wonderful. The anthology is dominated by a lot of biblical / angel and demon stories, but it is far from being a problem due to the quality of these stories.

Of the twenty two stories in this anthology other than mine, there was one I didn't like, two that I didn't really get / couldn't connect to, and nineteen that kept me turning page after page. Sure this anthology is in one of my favourite genres, but still, that is a pretty high hit rate for me.

There were some standout stories, stories that have stuck with me since I finished reading this anthology. These are, in "Table of Contents" order:

I’m an Animal. You’re an Animal, Too – Zachary Jernigan,
Front Lines, Big City – Timothy Baker,
Naked the Night Sings – Teresa Frohock,
Chains of Gray – Betsy Dornbusch,
Beneath a Scalding Moon – Jeff Salyards, and
Jesse Shimmer Goes to Hell – Lucy A. Snyder.

While you might be tempted to read your favourite authors first and then work through the anthology after that, I would definitely recommend reading the anthology in order. There are definite beats and good transitions between high action and deep brooding stories.

I can definitely recommend this anthology. I loved reading it, and I'm proud to be a part of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Manifesto UF.

July 15, 2013 – Shelved