Suzy Wilson's Reviews > There Comes a Prophet

There Comes a Prophet by David Litwack

Jul 15, 2013

bookshelves: adventure, coming-of-age, dystopia, family-issues, fantasy

I received a copy of this work from Double Dragon Publishing, via NetGalley, in return for an honest review.

I am generally a fan of dystopian fiction, and David Litwack's THERE COMES A PROPHET did not disappoint. As much as I like serialised novels, there is something satisfying about devouring a complete adventure arc in one sitting. Two hundred and sixty-odd pages of development and discovery, but no gratuitous superfluities. Could the characters have been more fleshed out, yes. Could the world be larger or more floridly drawn, of course. Would 300 more pages have added to the pathos and the excitement, not really.

We find our three central protagonists living a fairly bucolic existence. Life is simple, regimented and predictable. There is certainty. When that absolutivity is crushed by the traumatising of Thomas, the artistic, musical, whimsical member of the trio, something shatters. What emerges is an exploration of the human need for knowledge, the fear and excitement of embracing the unknown, and the consequences of embracing too tightly any credo, in the name of absolute piety.

This is a satisfying exploration of three teens' journey into the unknown, and the struggles faced by all who seek true emancipation - both for themselves, and for the people they love.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read There Comes a Prophet.

Started Reading