Josh's Reviews > ComicsTrips: A Journal of Travels Through Africa and Southeast Asia

ComicsTrips by Peter Kuper

Sep 23, 2007

bookshelves: comics, nonfiction, travel
Recommended for: backpackers, comics fans
Read in September, 1992

Fate is the only way to describe it. When I took off for Asia -- a one-way flight from New York to Hong Kong -- the only comic I brought with me was Comics Trips. I didn't know it at the time, but nothing could have been more fitting. It was a revelation, the most influential piece of travel writing I ve ever read. Documenting Kuper's adventures in Africa and Asia, Comics Trips is part comic, part sketchbook, part photo album -- and entirely engaging. Highlights of the book include an account of a hilarious/nightmarish train ride through Tanzania in "Gorillas," and "Bangkok," a light-hearted look at the live-sex trade. Comics Trips is punctuated by beautiful watercolor sketches, ticket stubs and collages, and humorous photo essays like "Toilets of the World." This is the kind of comic you save from a fire.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ComicsTrips.

07/13/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Raina Hey Josh, I have a special interest in this kind of book (I call them "graphic novel travelogues" and I've read a lot (see my bookshelf of the same name). Do you have any recommendations that I might not be aware of?
Love your stuff. :)

Josh Hey Raina, Sorry I never saw this request. I had an old email address registered for this account and hadn't seen it in a while.

If you're still interested in the topic, here are some other comics travelogues I know of that I didn't see on your bookshelf. I love Guy Delisle's books too! I gotta check out some of the books you list that I'm not familiar with...

Graphic Novels/Trade Paperbacks:
Cindy Goff and Rafael Nieves, HEARTS OF AFRICA (Slave Labor, 1994) — fictionalized memoir of the Peace Corps
Peter Kuper, DIARIO DE OAXACA: A Sketchbook Journal of Two Years in Mexico (PM Press, 2009)
George O'Connor, JOURNEY INTO MOHAWK COUNTRY (First Second, 2006) — adapted from a 16th-century Dutch trader's diary
Ted Rall, TO AFGHANISTAN AND BACK (ComicsLit, 2002)
Rick Smith, BARAKA AND BLACK MAGIC IN MOROCCO (Alternative Comics, 2004) — not one of my favorites, but it counts

Anthologies:
L'ASSOCIATION EN EGYPTE (L'Association, 1998) — in French
L'ASSOCIATION AU MEXIQUE (L'Association, 2000) — in French
L'ASSOCIATION EN INDE (L'Association, 2006) — in French
SPX 2003 (Travel issue) (Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, 2003)

Comics:
Justin Hall, TRUE TRAVEL TALES (All Thumbs Press) http://allthumbspress.com/comics.html — exotic travel adventures from a gay perspective

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but that's a start!

Raina Awesome! Thanks, so much Josh! I will look forward to acquiring these in the future.

And, of course, I can't wait to read the Influencing Machine - it's in my inbox.