Matthew's Reviews > Gifts

Gifts by Ursula K. Le Guin

Aug 09, 2009

bookshelves: 11th-grade

Gifts by Ursula K. LeGuin is an amazing out fo your seat book that takes pace ina fantasy world where people have powers. In this book thir powers are known as gifts, hence the book's title. The book is about this boy named Orrec who has the ability to undo anyhting that he can see. Later in the book it tells us that he is out into pressure by his father making sure that the bloodline trait of the gift stays true. Also, he is forced to waer a blindfold as his father claims to Orrec that he was the "wild gift."

This book really is a page turner that leaves the reader reading page after page unknowing what would happen next. Throughout this book, there have been many parts that i enjoyed, but the one that i felt was the best was when Orrec's father Canoc finally took revenge for his wife on Ogge, leader of a neighboring village. In this part, Canoc travels to Ogge's village and waits for him with his son. When Ogge showed up as he did, Canoc used his ability and undid him and his son. When i read this part, I felt that it was something that Canoc should ahve done ages ago Ogge has killed Orrec's mother while she was pregnant. AS said in the book, "'I said 'is Ogge dead?' 'I don't know,' Ternoc said, 'I don't know.' He looked around. 'Get somebody to help us here,' he said. The men were shouting. 'It's him, it's him,' one of them yelled, running to us. BRanty nighed and reared, protesting all this confusion. 'The adder, the fat adder, he's burst open, dead unmade! And his bastard cattle theif son beside him!' (LeGuin 266). THis part of the book was actually what i wanted to happen and it did in the end.

In conclusion, I would recommend this book to any reader that enjoys fatasy books, ones of magic and special abilities. The ending will keep you asking what is going to happen next, which is why the story doesn't stop there. Ursula K. LeGuin, the author of the Earthsea books has written a sequel to this book named Voices. So guys check it out and have fun reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gifts.