Michel's Reviews > Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal: War Stories from the Local Food Front

Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal by Joel Salatin

Aug 09, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: food, pol, va
Recommended to Michel by: Craig Hartman
Read in June, 2011

The pope of sustainable, the crusader of local, responsible food.
I can't wait: hurry up, Amazon!

June '11: I agree that State and Federal rules stack the deck in favor of big agribusiness, feedlots, assembly-line slaughterhouses, battery chickens, huge fossil-fuel-fertilized subsidized Gmo corn and soy fields, and that it takes enormous determination nowadays to run sustainable, humane, natural farming enterprises.
His other views I find very objectionable. Example: birth control is why you can't find cheap farm laborers anymore, all these unwanted children would make for an abundant hungry pool of workers, making farmer's lives so much easier...
And I can't stand his rants against Crep (a voluntary program encouraging farmers to keep Chesapeake headwaters unpolluted, to protect menhadens and crabs) and conservation easements (another voluntary program which preserves farmland from predatory developers — Joel, if you don't ease, your 100 acre farm is going to be sold by one of your grandchildren who will prefer a cool million in his pocket, and there will be 20 to 50 Polyface McMansions!)
Hence 2 stars for the book — whereas Joel Salatin deserves 5 stars for his other work, farming.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal.