Smitten's Book Blog's Reviews > Lick

Lick by Kylie Scott

Eeeeeeee. Love love love it. Soooo perfect. And adorable. And hot. And brilliant.

A fantastic rock star romance. What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas, right??? Wrong!

When you accidently get married to one of the biggest rock stars on the planet, the ring, the paparazzi, the legal papers and the hubby himself are all still there, even after you leave Vegas... even if you have absolutely no recollection of the whole thing!

Good, respectable, sensible, Portland girl, Evelyn Thomas might have been planning on getting laid, on her 21st birthday, in Vegas... but she certainly hadn't planned on getting married. When she wakes up, hanging like a bitch, on a hotel bathroom floor, with no memory of marrying the gorgeous but mysterious man lying next to her, who is none other than David Ferris, guitarist of rock band, 'Stage Dive', the obvious answer to her problems is an annulment. A no-brainer, right?

But what if he does remember the whole thing? And what if he doesn't consider it to be the biggest mistake of his life?
And what if Evelyn actually realises she might quite like the sexy, dark, brooding God of rock?

David. David. David! *sigh* Awww, he's just to die for.

He isn't the mean, bad-boy man-whore that most of these rock star romance books deliver us... he's just lovely. He's attentive, sweet, caring, kind and he's hurt. It's clear, from the beginning, that David remembers the events of that fateful night and doesn't regret it like Evelyn does.

Can anybody say 'awwww'?? How can you not want to scoop him up and cuddle him? He wants her to be his wifey and she has no interest in even knowing who he is. Bless his little heart.

Evelyn is brilliant too. She's ordinary and refreshingly rational. It makes a change. She doesn't go flying off of the handle, over-reacting or falling at his feet at the first sign of 'sorry'. She's just a normal girl in a very abnormal situation. And she reacts accordingly. She's strong in her decisions, has self respect but isn't annoyingly stubborn or affected. I really, really liked her and was totally on board with her story.

The story is told from her POV and the writing is witty, funny and a breath of fresh air. I was giggling by the end of the first page. This is pure easy-reading.
I loved that the dialogue felt so real. The responses were things that real people might say. They 'Mmm's and 'yeh's that were used to punctuate a sentence. There was a lot of great banter, too.

So, post-Vegas, when Evelyn finds herself at David's mansion, in an attempt to escape the hoards of press outside her Portland home, things begin to change.

I loved watching Evelyn realise that she actually had feelings for David. And he sure as hell didn't make it a hard job to love him. Honestly, ladies, this guy is so damn cute. He'll do a total warm and fuzzy number on your hearts.

Don't be fooled though. There are some panty-combusting sex scenes in this book too... just to make sure you don't get a sugar rush from all of the sweet. Ooof, David is haaawt! Evelyn is inexperienced and nervous, and he takes such good care of her, whilst showing her the ropes! Mmmm mmm!

I have one query... I'd be grateful if somebody could fill me in here... whyyyy is this book called Lick??? It just seemed ever so random, to me.

This book is the first in the Stage Dive series. I believe book #2 is Mal's story. Mal is David's oldest friend and the drummer of the band. I absolutely loved his character. He is hilariously funny, kind hearted and a total lad.

I can't wait to read more from Kylie Scott. I think we may have found a new favourite fictional rock band, ladies!

Lick Statistics
Steam Rating (out of 5): ♥♥♥♥
Ending: HEA
Series:
Reading Order:
Book #1 - Lick
Rest of series not released yet.
Can this be read as a standalone? Yes
Themes:
Rock star
Alcohol induced amnesia
Accidental marriage
Warning. This book includes...
Sexual content.
Writing: Great

UK AMAZON: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lick-Stage-Di...
US AMAZON: http://www.amazon.com/Lick-Stage-Dive...

To read more reviews go to my Book Blog: http://smittensbookblog.wordpress.com/
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SmittenSC
Find me on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/smittensc/
Join in the chat on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SmittensBook...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lick.

Quotes Smitten's Book Blog Liked

Kylie Scott
“So, congratulations. You're married to a rock star.”

Kylie Scott
“Bad boys were highly overrated.”

Kylie Scott
“Let me get this straight, you don't remember anything?"
"No," I said, swallowing hard. "What did we do last night?"
"We got fucking married," he growled.”

Kylie Scott
“I married you, Evelyn, because you made sense to me. We make sense. We're a whole lot better together than apart.”

Kylie Scott
“Lauren: Whatever happens do not break up the band!!
Me: Got it.
Lauren: But break his heart. He wrote San Pedro after what's-her-name cheated on him. That album was BRILLIANT!
Me: Promise to leave him a broken quivering mess.
Lauren: That's the spirit.”

Kylie Scott
“Love isn't always smooth or straightforward. It can be messy and painful," he said. "Doesn't mean it isn't still the most incredible thing that can ever happen to you. Doesn't mean I'm not crazy about you.”

Kylie Scott
“It's you and me against the world.”

Kylie Scott
“Seriously, I fucking love your wife, man. She's awesome. Can I have her?”

July 14, 2013 – Shelved
July 14, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 19, 2013 – Started Reading
August 19, 2013 –
20.0% "Right now, I'm loving Mal more than anyone else!! Brilliant writing!"
August 20, 2013 – Shelved as: amazing-sexual-tension
August 20, 2013 – Shelved as: series
August 20, 2013 – Shelved as: stand-alone
August 20, 2013 – Shelved as: steamy-reads
August 20, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Vieira Glad you like it!!

message 2: by Sadie (new) - added it

Sadie Bissett It may not be used very often any more, but a guitar "lick" is what the book title is referring to. According to Wiki, licks in rock and roll are often used through a formula, and variations technique in which variants of simple, stock ideas are blended and developed during the solo.

message 3: by Keri (new) - added it

Keri Damn fine review! Like Dani, this has moved up my TBR list! Thanks!!

Smitten's Book Blog Thanks ladies. :)

Hmmm... yeh I hadn't thought of that Telina... I still think it's a little random. :/

Teri Great review...I really enjoyed this book, too!

Karen Absolutely fabulous review!!!! I've read other reviews on this book, but yours has me adding this book to my short list!!!!

Aimen GREAT review!! :D

Rica Great review...I love love this book. Your review says it all.

Becky Frosco Great review.

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen WoW! Great review Smitten! Loved this book!

message 11: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Fantastic review!! Love your pics! :)