Alex's Reviews > Children of the Arbat

Children of the Arbat by Anatoli Rybakov

Aug 09, 2009

Read in January, 2001

If someone wants in Stalin's darkest thoughts to look
I recommend to read this brilliant, amazing book
It's hardly possible for reader to remain to be aloof, cool, calm, unmoved spectator
While learning how horrible and treacherous and sick was crazy mind of fearsome and yet so fearful dictator

1. Memorable 5
6. Expressiveness 5
7. Entertaining 5
8. Visualization 1
9. Sparks Emotion 5
10. Life Changing (Pivotal, crucial, determining, defining, momentous, fateful, consequential, climacteric, transformational) 2

5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 1, 5, 2 ====> 43/10 = 4.3

This brilliant book (all 3 parts of it) offers unique in its depth psychological analysis of Stalin's character.
Were all Asian/Oriental tyrants like that ?

On anther hand - if this book is read by professional psychiatrist - would he be able to come up with some diagnosis ?

All in all, Anatoly Rybakov was very talented writer.
His literary style reminds me of Kaverin, but the issues covered by Anatoly Rybakov are much more social and broad then those of Kaverin.
Aksenov's "Moscow saga" goes on similar lines with
Anatoly Rybakov's "Children_of_the_Arbat" but it is much weaker in both literary and social effects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the Arbat.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Lisa Hayden Espenschade Alex, I loved the first book of Children of the Arbat, too. I didn't like the next two books nearly as much, though I read them. And I agree with you that Aksenov's Moscow Saga trilogy isn't nearly as good: I think Rybakov's simple storytelling is far more effective than Aksenov's attempts to write a Tolstoyesque family saga with postmodern twists.

I'm curious: are there any specific works of Kaverin that you would recommend? I've never read him. (I used to have a copy of Два капитана, but now I can't find it, so I might as well start over!)

Alexander Rodionov I loved all three books. Alex, thank you for nice review!