R.'s Reviews > Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire

Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire by Mike Mignola

Sep 23, 2007

bookshelves: 2008

When I saw this today, I...well, I licked my chops.

Hmmmm. An interesting take on the ManBearPig legend, doctor.

Hmmmm. An interesting take on Sesame Street, sailor.

Hmmmm. An interesting take on whatever the fuck that was, soldier.

Hmmmm. Has it really been twelve years since From Dusk 'til Dawn was at a theater near you? Because it's still fresh in my mind and, ah, fresh in the mind of the authors: people held captive - fighting for their lives - in the lair of the vampires until, suddenly, the cavalry arrives.

I doff major hats to the authors though, for actually getting me to shudder: the sailor's tale. You can't beat puppets coming to life for true horror. And, well, when it's a town full of puppets...

But, in the end, the campaign of Lord Baltimore was less interesting than the stories each man told in turn.

Though, I must ask you now that we're seated here in the gloom and it is very, very late...I must ask you: how do you know Lord Baltimore, and why do you yourself believe that true evil stalks this world? I see it in your face: you've seen things. Share. Share.

((Anybody want to start a Waiting for Baltimore group?))

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire.

message 1: by R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R. I always thought of a pike as an old logging road; and, jes, it was tres refreshing to find a vampire novel where a. the vampire isn't some comedic chick-lit flapper and b. the slayer isn't some bad-ass half-vampire destiny-endowed drag.

Michael who doesn't want to quibble!?!?!?

I'm so glad people are still finding this book as awesome as i did when it first came out.

It makes me want to read it again.

Michael it pretty much goes unsaid that i'm in!

message 4: by R. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R. T. & M. - Group created!

Michael link?