Belhor's Reviews > The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

bookshelves: other-none-fiction

This is a book on epidemics. In this book, Malcolm tries to explain, with the wit, clarity and beauty you'd expect from him, the way something small and insignificant turns into a huge wave. The book started slow and gradually became more and more interesting. I loved chapter 7, which was partly about smoking. I always knew there was something fundamentally wrong about anti-smoking campaigns. Turns out I was right!

Here I just want to note the beauty of mass data gathering. Without mass data, the late parts of the book, in my opinion, could not have existed. For example we always had data on anti-smoking campaigns, the money the spent and the results they got. But it's only when you have access to limited but wast amounts of data that you can really figure out what is going on inside the system.

Now, this is the first lesson of the Tipping Point: Starting epidemics requires concentrating your efforts in a few key areas. The second lesson of the tipping point is that whether we like it or not, our intuitions are often wrong. People and organizations that start the epidemics don't stumble upon them by chance. They deliberately test their intuitions.
What we need to understand is that human communication has its own set of unusual and often counter-intuitive rules. Here again, mass gathering of data and analysis comes into play. The final and maybe the most important lesson of tipping point is that change is possible! That people can radically transform their behaviors and their beliefs in the face of the right kind of impetus. This also has ties to problems of free will. I think here we can see that the best philosophy is explained by compatibilism (soft determinism)! Here we can see that our understanding of freedom must change radically.
I can go on, but I don't want to!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tipping Point.

July 14, 2013 – Shelved
July 14, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 24, 2014 – Shelved as: other-none-fiction
April 15, 2017 – Started Reading
April 15, 2017 –
April 22, 2017 –
50.0% "مثل همه ی کتاب های ملکام این هم کتاب خیلی جالبی هست. تنها مشکل اینه که زیاد روی افراد تکیه میکنه و من از این یک مورد زیاد خوشم نمیاد. موضوع خیلی جذابی نیست برام."
April 23, 2017 –
April 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Amir Tesla Free will... just saw the matrix first episode. My mind is overheated :/

Belhor Amir wrote: "Free will... just saw the matrix first episode. My mind is overheated :/"

It's one of the many philosophical subject I'm fascinated by.
You mean the TV series? Or the movie? If the TV series is any good, I'd like to watch that too!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Every pebble of thought creates endless ripples of consequence. Right?

Amir Tesla @Saman > The movie, can't get it out of my mind. Just so compatible with my prior perceptions. Shit, this perplexity is so amazing :|

Amir Tesla @Sara > where did you steal the phrase Sara :p? Marvelous articulation.
And yes,

Belhor Sara wrote: "Every pebble of thought creates endless ripples of consequence. Right?"

Well said Sara. :)

message 7: by Belhor (last edited Apr 25, 2017 11:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Belhor Amir wrote: "@Saman > The movie, can't get it out of my mind. Just so compatible with my prior perceptions. Shit, this perplexity is so amazing :|"

It's on the top of my list dude. One of the best ever.
I've seen it maybe ten times! :D

Amir Tesla Saman, we must plan occasional movie days together :D

Belhor Yes. I think we should. I think it could be lots of fun dude. :D

message 10: by Shayan (new)

Shayan Foroozesh looki here Saman has written a review! and great one dude! loved it. Make me wanna read it

message 11: by Belhor (last edited Aug 27, 2019 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Belhor Shayan wrote: "looki here Saman has written a review! and great one dude! loved it. Make me wanna read it"

lol. Thanks dude! :D
I was at work and it was all quite and I thought maybe I should write something. So I did. :D
Glad you liked it.