Tantalizing 's Reviews > Spark

Spark by Brooke Cumberland

Jul 13, 2013

bookshelves: favorites
Read 2 times. Last read July 13, 2013.

Ok, first of all I want to thank Brooke for giving me an advanced copy of this book to review. Let me say this... I absolutely loved this book, and I could relate to Velaney in so many ways, due to the both of us having a horrible thing happening to the both of us in the past. Velaney (aka, Lane, aka Laney aka Vel) has a damaged past and because of that she shuts out everyone except her best friend since birth Carissa. Then one night her life is changed when a sexy firefighter named Eric saves her. She keeps running into Eric, often times literally. Velaney then finds herself battling her feelings for Eric, she knows she is attracted to him and feels this pull towards him, but she doesn't want to have feelings for him at the same time because she feels she cannot be with. Then comes Alex the sweet older brother of Kenna a girl she works with. She feels comfortable with Alex and thinks that she could possibly be with him, but at the same time she is battling feelings for Eric.

Velaney is strong, stronger than most would be considering her past, and the damage it caused. Eric makes her open up and come to terms with her past, like saying things that cause her pain. Velaney is a girl who is very magnetic and pulls you in, makes you feel her pain, and feel overcome with her emotions and that is one reason this book is so great, because not only is Velaney a very detailed, well written character but all the characters in this book are written the same way. You get to know them and feel emotions when it comes to them.

Don't even get me started on Aiden, the cause of Velaney's pain, because that will not be a happy conversation. Needless to say, I believe he should be taken into a room and beaten to a pulp, but who knows it could happen!

This book had be laughing, at times crying, biting my nails and racking my mind trying to figure out what would happen next. It was hard to put down, I found myself sleep reading because I just did not want to stop reading. At times I found myself holding on to my blanket and gasping and I seriously felt the "Spark". Just when you think you know what is going to happen...BAM! you're blindsided and in complete shock!

This book is a tale of learning to forget the past and not let it affect your life. It's about learning to be yourself and letting people in, letting yourself feel, and not fearing the past. Learning to let go and move on allows you to feel things and experience things that you never would have before.

Spark is to be released on August 6th and I would recommend to anyone who will listen to purchase this book. It is worth the money and you will not regret it, and you will find yourself enthralled and love it! You will laugh, possibly cry, smile, growl, chew your nails and fall in love.

**This book is for mature audiences only**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.

Started Reading
Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
July 13, 2013 – Shelved
July 13, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 13, 2013 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
August 2, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
August 2, 2013 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
August 9, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites