Celia's Reviews > Moon Called

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs

bookshelves: urban-fantasy

I avoided this series for ages, because I thought it was going to be another one of those oh-so-sassy young female vampire/werewolf hunter kicks arse while wisecracking (Buffy can do it, no-one else). But this was actually really fantastic - Mercy is a skinwalker, a shapeshifter who turns into a coyote. She runs a garage, lives next door to the local werewolf Alpha, and does repairs on a vampire's bus. Then someone turns up dead on her doorstep, the Alpha is severely injured, and it's up to Mercy to get help.

Of course, there's a lot more going on than one dead body, including political struggles within the werewolf packs, and Mercy's rather complex history with the werewolves is slowly revealed. Surprisingly Briggs' manages to avoid cliches rather brilliantly, and I actually really liked the Mercy character - usually I find the female leads in this type of urban fantasy extremely annoying. This, however, was a really fantastic example of great urban fantasy. Plus, it's a series - yay! Can't wait to read the sequels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moon Called.