SusannaW's Reviews > The Crossing Places

The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths

Aug 08, 2009

did not like it

There is no way this is 5 star work, as indicated by the previous posters on this page. I was totally mislead by this.

A University lecturer in archeology finds herself drawn into a murder case when some bones are discovered on the Norfolk coast. Another child goes missing, and the heroine becomes in danger herself as she starts receiving threatening messages.

Not a bad plot line, but it is, to cut to the chase, one of the most simplistic 'crime' novels I have read. While the hermeneutic intrigue isn't too bad, it is pretty easy to guess the 'who-dunnit' by a third of the way into the book... there's only a half-dozen cast of characters. All the secondary characters are thinly drawn, appearing really as cardboard cut-outs. When the who-dunnit is revealed there is no depth of story, no motivation. It's just him/her wot dun it.

But while that is passable, the thing that lets this down is the writing. Boy, oh boy is it lamentable. It's a cross between teenage diary 'simple' and a woman's magazine, with the added irritation of a feeling that someone has done this to a creative writing class formula. Short sentences, basic language, repetition, and an annoying habit of the heroine asking a dozen questions to herself, as a way of reminding the reader of the plot summary.

If you're stuck in bed with flu, as I was, and need something less than taxing to occupy yourself with, then this might be useful. But please don't waste your money on it - get someone to get a copy out of the library for you. If you like crime novels there are a zillion novels more worthy of being read - Harben Coben, Linwood Barclay, Sophie Hannah, Henning Mankell, Andrea Camilleri...anything basically.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crossing Places.

August 8, 2009 – Shelved
August 8, 2009 –
page 158
Started Reading
August 10, 2009 – Finished Reading

Simon Fenwick Ratings are a personal opinion. What one reader regards as a 5 star book another will not like it and only award the lower stars of their choice. Neither makes the ratings invalid. They are simply what each person thinks. The same applies to film reviews. One critic might give an excellent review to a film which you then go to see on the back of that and hate it. On the other hand, you might really like a film to which a critic has given a poor rating. All opinions are valid. Personally, I really enjoyed The Crossing Places but by saying that, am I being misleading. No. All I am stating is my own opinion.