M. Joseph Murphy's Reviews > Deadly Election

Deadly Election by Arthur Crandon

Jul 13, 2013

This is a perfect example of how a good rewrite can greatly improve a book.

I received this book free in exchange for an honest review. The first time through, however, I noticed very significant grammar errors and weaknesses in the plot. I informed the author of my concerns. To his credit, he said he'd heard similar critiques from others. He let me know he was in contact with an editor and would be reworking the novel.I told him I would reserve my review until after reading the new edition.

I'm glad I did.

Deadly Election, in its current form, is a strong novel. It is based on real events and reads like non-fiction. That means it is very believable.

In the rewrite, the character of Chloe was greatly enhanced. She gives us a very human and relatively untainted view of this crime-filled, seedy world.

A word of caution: this is a very adult novel. There are graphic depictions of violence and violations.

IN CONCLUSION
I feel very privileged to have seen the novel in both iterations. If Arthur Crandon continues to grow like this, we can expect very good things from him in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Election.

July 13, 2013 – Started Reading
July 13, 2013 – Shelved
July 13, 2013 –
page 40
July 16, 2013 –
page 90
July 21, 2013 –
page 120
43.17% "Should finish this week. The story feels, unfortunately, very realistic. I have a new appreciation (not sure that's the right word) for life in the Philippines. Several grammar issues (specifically comma splices) but I know how hard it is to remove all the grammar issues in a sizable book."
July 21, 2013 –