Rosalind Gallaspie's Reviews > Red Rover

Red Rover by Deirdre McNamer

liked it

I completed this novel due to my sense of obligation to the bookshop owner in Missoula who helped me select a piece of fiction by a Montana author. I have not given my full and deserved attention to this work in which McNamer uses events from her personal past as the frame for the fragmented narrative of two brothers (Aidan and Neil) and Aidan's FBI friend (Roland). I learned that McNamer had initially planned to write a non-fiction account of her uncle's inexplicable death upon his return as an FBI agent from Argentina after WWII. Her choice to broaden her perspective allowed, I believe, an opportunity for her somber revelations without losing her poetic voice.

My first introduction to Aidan and Neil as children captivated me as did MxNamer's descriptions of Montana. I welcomed references to places that I was learning during my two weeks with the Rocky Mountain School of Photography. I regret, however, that I was unable to stay caught up in the novel. The point of view and narrative threads became difficult for me to untangle. The time demands on my days in Missoula prevented me the luxury of sinking into the book's intrigues and of appreciating the perceptions McNamer shares with the reader about deception, disappointment, aloneness.

I will perhaps return to this book in the future when I am more committed to the book than to my sense of obligation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Red Rover.

Started Reading