Heather 's Reviews > Fading

Fading by E.K. Blair

liked it
bookshelves: z-kindle-not-lendable, abuse-rape-neglect, college, dark, romance

Candace is about to start her senior year at the University of Washington. She has spent her college years being very focused and somewhat conservative. She is a fine arts major and has her sites set on become a professional dancer. So, when her friends encourage her to let loose and live a little, she decides to listen.

This is when things go horribly wrong. One night all of her dreams turn into nightmares.

Candace is left reeling. She turns to one of her best friends and shuts everyone else out. She leans on him to help her through but even he can't save her from herself.

Candace finds herself shutting down and being afraid of everything. She has chronic nightmares and can't sleep alone. Her best friend Jase and his new boyfriend Mark become her only source of security.

One day at work a mysterious man walks in. Later she meets him again with Jase and Mark. Ryan owns a local bar and has a history with women a mile long. He has never been a one woman man but something about Candace screams to him to protect her.

Candace finds herself slowly opening up to him and trusting him. She allows him to get close and eventually she finds herself relying on him.

Candace soon discovers that Ryan may not have been all she thought he was.

The dramatic ending...

So here were my problems with this book:

1) The entire first 30-35% of the book focused on the trauma. While I get that the trauma was a huge part of the story, this is a romance.

2) The ending. I won't spoil it for you, but really... I didn't get it. (Maybe if this was a Hallmark movie it would work.)

3) There were a TON of detail in this book that didn't seem to add to the story. I don't need to know what pair of pants she chose to wear unless it is relevant to the story. Edit. Edit. Edit.

4) Through all of the trauma and drama, Candace still maintains a 4.o GPA. Really???

5) The therapist... I always cringe when authors write out therapy scenes. Being a therapist myself, I can be a little critical of the therapist-client dialogue.

Things I liked:

1) Ryan. He was hot and amazingly patient.

2) Jase and Mark. Swoon worthy couple who are NOTHING but supportive.

3) Ryan's mother. What a great woman.

4) The author was brave to tackle this big subject. She did an amazing job with the feelings that Candace went through.

I struggled with how to rate this book. I wanted to give it four stars and I wanted to give it three stars. I know lots of people LOVED this book.

Perhaps it was just me, but I just liked this one. I didn't love it. Three Stars for me.

red_star_3_of_5-378bff103b9df21756b9733c0fd3d949

www.readinghaven.me

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fading.

July 13, 2013 – Shelved
July 19, 2013 – Shelved as: abuse-rape-neglect
July 19, 2013 – Shelved as: dark
July 19, 2013 – Shelved as: romance
July 19, 2013 –
35.0% "Ok, where is the love story....."
July 19, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz 99 Cents Today July 15th!

Vikki ~ *squee* lite ~ Fantastic review Heather. You said it much better than me :). Totally agree :)

Heather Thanks ladies!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Heather!

Heather Blacky *Mistress of Doom* wrote: "Great review Heather!"

Thanks Blacky!

Jennifer Great review -- I felt the same way.

Heather Jennifer wrote: "Great review -- I felt the same way."

Glad it wasn't just me!

Jennifer Heather wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Great review -- I felt the same way."

Glad it wasn't just me!"

I am soldiering on and reading Freeing (Fading, #1.5) by E.K. Blair . I really loved Jace's character and I am an M/M romance fiend.

Heather Jennifer wrote: "Heather wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Great review -- I felt the same way."

Glad it wasn't just me!"

I am soldiering on and reading Freeing (Fading, #1.5) by E.K. Blair. I really loved Jace's character and ..."

Good for you! Let me know if it is a good one!

message 11: by Dani (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dani I totally agree with your review, especially the "details". Too much...I turned the door knob and stepped out onto the stoop, then I turned left to go onto the sidewalk. I'm exaggerating (no that wasn't in the story)....but how boring was that to read? Found myself skimming A LOT!