nettan - the road so far...'s Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

bookshelves: steampunk, urban-fantasy, favorites, paranormal, young-adult, reviewed

I’ll try to resist not to go into comparing the sister series (too much), but in my view Clockwork Angel are so much better than City of Bones (and I thoroughly enjoyed that one too).
Can't really put a finger on why I liked a bit Clockwork more, but maybe it’s because of:

- Steampunk elements, Cassandra Clare sprinkle a lot of clockwork, crazy inventions and one or another automaton (you just can’t go wrong with an automaton) in her story.

- The historical setting, England during the reign of Queen Victoria, with girls in corsets, well dressed young men and dwindling gaslight streets that makes you think of Jack the Ripper’s misty and horror struck London.

- Or maybe it’s all about the characters; more believable, interesting and multi-faceted. The Shadowhunters we met here feels genuine, more nuanced and definitely better dressed.

- Oh and did I mention that the story take place in England and London!

The world is the same as the one we meet in City of Bone, although set circa 100 years before, here the Shadowhunters, the Nephilems try as their modern counterparts to rid the world of demons, to patrol (or police) the Downworlders, the vampires, werewolves, fairies and other supernatural beings. And yes on the surface, you might think that Tessa, Will, Jem, and Jessa reminds you of Clary, Jace, Alec, and Isabelle.
I find myself like Tessa more, despite her view of what a girl can or cannot do (or are allowed to), but she is a child of her time and you totally understand where she is coming from. Jem is a fascinating and mysterious character (and oh so tragic), even Jessa and her own loathing of her lot in life is more interesting then Isabelle ever was. The only character I actually don’t care one bit for is Will, he reminds me a bit too much of Jace and is quite boring and feels a bit one dimensional (maybe this will change later on in the series, fingers crossed).
Overall, the people that inhabit the world of Clockwork Angel have more depth to them and there is probably more to them than meets the eye.

The majority of chapters we follow Jessa, her thoughts, feelings and reactions, but some of the chapters the focus is different and we will see the world from Wills perspective. As in most YA books nowadays there is a love triangle story (well at least a hint of it). But fortunately it’s not of the classic kind, and this one was actually quite refreshing.

I really love this book and looking forward to sink my teeth in to the next installment in the Infernal Devices series; Clockwork Prince.

You can read more ramblings on this book on my Swedish blog the road so far

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

July 12, 2013 – Started Reading