Leigh Verrill-Rhys's Reviews > Everything You Were Taught about the Civil War Is Wrong, Ask a Southerner!

Everything You Were Taught about the Civil War Is Wrong, Ask ... by Lochlainn Seabrook

bookshelves: commentary-politics-current-affairs

Born and raised a Yankee, this book was a mind-opener. To be honest, I was ready for another point of view and Lochlainn Seabrook delivered, full-throttle, no holds barred, with conviction. I had previous inklings of a different truth while watching the PBS series, "The Abolitionists," which made obvious that Abraham Lincoln was not the emancipator he has since been hailed.

The historical truth of his reluctance came out when Speilberg's film, Lincoln, was released. So many of the historians and scholars I admire were lamenting and refuting the premise of that film that I had to take a second look at our 16th president.

Everything You Were Taught About the Civil War is Wrong, Ask a Southerner! lifts a dark veil obscuring this period of our history and reveals a tragedy that is being perpetuated on our country with relentless energy. We can never be healed without facing the absolute facts of this tragic and criminal event.

If you intend to make the so-called 'Civil War' the background for your novel, please don't perpetuate the tissue of lies and call it history.

I recommend this book to anyone who is seriously interested in studying American history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything You Were Taught about the Civil War Is Wrong, Ask a Southerner!.

July 11, 2013 – Started Reading
July 11, 2013 – Shelved
July 11, 2013 – Shelved as: commentary-politics-current-affairs
July 11, 2013 –
page 59
22.18% "Well documented and researched. If you're writing about the 1861-1865 war in America, this book is a must."
October 17, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Angel Santana Thanks for the great review! I'm a born Yankee, but a Rebel at heart. I've read this book and I love it too.