Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more's Reviews > Walk on Earth a Stranger

Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson

Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This book . . . GAH.

I was already a HUGE fan of Rae Carson from reading her Fire and Thorns books, so I was dying in the interim between series, scavenging for any bit of information I could find about what she was working on next.

And the more I learned, the more excited I became: a girl on the run with the ability to sense gold like a dowsing rod . . . during the California Gold Rush . . .

Pretty cool, right? I'm not a huge fan of American history, but even I thought that was a pretty great scenario.

In hindsight, I feel kind of silly for not seeing the inevitable similarities between traveling in wagons across the county to California and traveling across the country in wagons . . . on the OREGON TRAIL.

BUT. As an adult, I finally grasped the gravity of the situation.

It was not an easy trip. People traveled in huge caravans b/c there was safety in numbers. A family would start the journey with a wagon jam-packed with various "necessities" they refused to leave behind, and the longer they traveled, the more stuff they tossed out, b/c they learned: if it isn't food or water, it's not important.

REAL people were dying from real diseases. LOTS of them. Not just random stick figures I'd named after my fourth grade best friends.

But Carson didn't only capture the realities of long-distance travel in Gold Rush-era America, she captured the mindsets. The blasé attitude that went hand-in-hand with the prejudices. The irony of the American settlers' response to perceived Native American threats. The desperation of women who were wholly dependent on their husbands b/c they had no rights of their own. The blind stupid belief of religious men who expected God to everything for them, believing that taking any type of precautionary action was a "lack of faith."

It was heartbreaking and infuriating and thought-provoking and, above all other things, REAL.

Viscerally real.

Which is quite an accomplishment for a YA fantasy novel.

My only complaint was that there were several shocking plot twists that---BAM!---hit you at the very beginning, and I hadn't had enough time with Leah to really be affected by the awful things that happened to her. B/c they were awful. Horrible, tragic things. But I only felt them cerebrally, not emotionally.

BUT. It was a problem that was short-lived. By the time I was one-third of the way through it, I was well and truly ensnared. I tore through the pages, finishing only six(ish) hours after starting it. And I'll admit, around the 90% mark I started getting worried . . . I could almost see a cliffhanger ending biting its thumb at me in the distance . . .

Thankfully, it was all in my head. I finished in agony, but only the agony that springs from finishing a truly great book and knowing that you have a year to wait before finding out what happens next. *wipes sweat from brow*

WALK ON EARTH A STRANGER is pure gold. In this phenomenal first installment of Rae Carson's new GOLD SEER TRILOGY, you will meet a fascinating cast of characters whose journey from the Southern United States all the way to California will spring to life as you feverishly inhale chapter after chapter, willfully ignoring silly things like food and shelter b/c you physical CANNOT put it down. At least I couldn't. Highly recommended.

Jessica Signature

Pre-review:

This book . . . I LOVED it. A slow(ish) start was my only real issue, and it resolved itself by the 1/3rd mark.

I loved the characters.
I loved the story.
I laughed, I cried, I wrung my hands, I swooned, I LOVED IT.

Full review to come closer to the release date.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Walk on Earth a Stranger.

Quotes Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Liked

Rae Carson
“Seems like I’ve been waiting for you to come around my whole life, Lee. But a man can’t wait forever and stay a man.”
Rae Carson, Walk on Earth a Stranger

Rae Carson
“If a sweet dumpling took human form, it would look just like Aunt Tildy, right down to the flour-dusting of her gray hair.”
Rae Carson, Walk on Earth a Stranger

July 11, 2013 – Shelved
May 9, 2015 – Started Reading
May 10, 2015 –
25.0% "“All these farmers from Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania—they complain about slavery, how bad the South is, how we ought to change our ways. But come early winter...They stop at every plantation along the way, selling off their goods until they get to New Orleans. Then they walk back home, their pockets full of southern money. They’re a bunch of hypocrites.”\n “God hates hypocrites,” Ronnie says.\n “Amen,” Zeke says."
May 10, 2015 –
29.0% "The gentleman loudly clears his throat.\n “Fine!” Topper snaps. “I’m leaving.” Boots tromp away as he mutters something about uppity rich folks under his breath.\n “Uncouth fellow,” the clerk says.\n “Can’t trust a man with only half his teeth,” the gentleman agrees."
May 10, 2015 –
47.0% "He grins.\n “What?”\n “I’ve missed y—your opining.”\n description"
May 10, 2015 –
49.0% "At noon, we break for an hour to feed and rest the animals and to eat lunch. Jefferson and I unload the dining table and spread the tablecloth. Mrs. Joyner adjusts it to her satisfaction, making sure the corners drape just right. Honest to God, sometimes she even unpacks the china and arranges place settings. I’m glad to take my tin plate and sit elsewhere."
May 10, 2015 –
85.0% "“I know you . . . carry on . . . with Jefferson. Under the wagon at night.” \n I hold my ground. “What?” \n “But I forgive you, my Gomer. I am your Hosea, and I will redeem you."\n \n LOL. This guy . . . \n description"
May 10, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)

Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination) JESS THERE IS A RELEASE DATE

Siiri (Little Pieces of Imagination) or wait haha i see your shelves, pardon me! i'm too late *cries*

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Yeah, LOL. I just never updated ;)

message 4: by Robin (new) - added it

Robin (Bridge Four) Oooo i love her other series. This looks promising as well.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more IT WAS SO GOOD. I read it in like 5 or 6 hours. And it's 448 pages long.

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway) Ah, I cannot wait to read this! But I still have to wait for so long! Glad you enjoyed it, Jessica!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Waiting sucks :( BUT. If it's any consolation, it is worth it. Completely. Hopefully your TBR looks like mine and there will be lots of good books between now and then. *crosses fingers*

message 8: by mith (new)

mith so i'm guessing there's a good romance?

message 9: by mich (new) - added it

mich Glad you loved it! I'm excited for this one :)

(did you see the author's review for her own book? So hilarious!)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Cookie wrote: "so i'm guessing there's a good romance?"

The romance isn't the focus, but something is definitely blossoming and it is adorable.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more mich wrote: "Glad you loved it! I'm excited for this one :)

(did you see the author's review for her own book? So hilarious!)"

YES. I adore her. She's hilarious. She's also friends with Ilona, so not surprised that she's awesome ;)

Lucia YES! I am so happy for this rating and quick review. I am soo excited to read this one myself :)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Lucia, I think you will LOVE it. And thanks ;)

Lucia Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads wrote: "Lucia, I think you will LOVE it. And thanks ;)"

I have been putting off reading my ARC because in case I end up loving it I will have to wait AGES for next book (and I hate waiting) but I am tempted to start it right now after seeing your quick review ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more The ending of this one isn't bad. I mean, it's the first in a trilogy, so there are obviously things that are unresolved, but it's not a nasty cliffhanger like a lot of YAs tend to be.

Kacey Gilpin Your review makes me so excited to read this!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more It was really good, Kacey. It was like a fictionalized account of the Oregon Trail with a supernatural twist ;)

message 18: by Familia (new)

Familia Rojas Do you know what is the Lexile #?

Mia (Parentheses Enthusiast) Wonderful review! This book has a pretty great premise.

Cristina Just started this today!!! Will come back and read your review when I'm done in a few days!! ♥

message 21: by Kels (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kels Lovely review. I've read so many mixed reviews, but I still can't wait to give this one a try! So glad you loved it!! :)

message 22: by Eilonwy (new)

Eilonwy I'm really looking forward to reading this! I loved Rae Carson's first trilogy. So I'm eager to see what she's done with historical fiction. And your review has made me even more excited!

message 23: by Jilly (new)

Jilly Great review, Jessica! :)

message 24: by destini mia (new)

destini mia Amazing review, Jessica!! I'm glad to see you loved it :D

Cupcakes & Machetes Great review! I was already considering it, now it is definitely going on the TBR list. :)

message 26: by Sherna (new) - added it

Sherna currently reading this!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Thank you! I really loved it, and I hope you guys who are reading/considering reading it love it too ;)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Eilonwy wrote: "I'm really looking forward to reading this! I loved Rae Carson's first trilogy. So I'm eager to see what she's done with historical fiction. And your review has made me even more excited!"

I love her SO MUCH. I think I liked this even better than FaT ;)

Cristina I couldn't agree with your review more. I.LOVED.IT. It was one big emotional roller coaster and you know how much I live for those kinda stories!!! *wink* Fabulous review my friend! ♥ PS: I get the feeling that book 2 is gonna be a bumpy ride!!! :)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Thanks, Cristina! I'm glad you loved it too ;)

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ I'm reading this next...thanks for the awesome review! :D

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more I hope you LOVE it Chelsea. Thanks! ;)

Cupcakes & Machetes Your review is perfect. I just finished it and threw a fit that it was over lol.

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Hybrid Creature (devours books instead of brains) wrote: "Your review is perfect. I just finished it and threw a fit that it was over lol."

Thanks, doll! Glad you loved it too, LOL. I'd feel sorry for you, but you only have to wait a few more weeks for #2 . . . I've been waiting for a YEAR. GAH.

message 35: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne Thanks for pointing our the kindle sale!

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Suzanne wrote: "Thanks for pointing our the kindle sale!"

You're welcome!