Kate's Reviews > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Aug 06, 2009

This book-- this big, fat book-- utterly amazed me. The language is gorgeous (and maybe if you don't much care for Victorian novels, you won't like that.) The story is a fresh and original mixture of "history" and "scholarship" and magic. I found it delightful, engrossing and sometimes deeply moving.

I peeked into the book at a used bookstore just because I'd read good reviews-- and found that I simply had to have it in order to follow up on one plot line that I'd encountered. I couldn't rest until I knew what would happen to the young wife who'd been enthralled by the Fairy King. When I started reading properly from the beginning-- I found ANOTHER plotline that I simply had to look ahead at! This is a rare occurrence with me-- I'm more likely to be able to guess how a plot will turn out, and not be surprised either.

Furthermore, that hardbound copy that I bought at the used bookstore must have weighed at least three pounds-- and I happily lugged it back and forth with me on BART and to work just so I could spend all my free moments with Jonathan Strange.

All of which to say-- this book is worth a look. There are reasons why some people might not enjoy it, but if you aren't one of those people, you'll be glad you read it. Glad, glad, glad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Quotes Kate Liked

Susanna Clarke
“Can a magician kill a man by magic?” Lord Wellington asked Strange.
Strange frowned. He seemed to dislike the question. “I suppose a magician might,” he admitted, “but a gentleman never could.”
Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell