Phrynne's Reviews > Rivers of London

Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

liked it

This was an interesting story involving a policeman, old London river gods and magic and I did enjoy it. However I was not fully convinced and I may not follow up the series. To be fair I was listening to this on audiobook and I did not like the reader very much. Why would they use someone who takes loud, wet breaths between sentences? Very annoying. So maybe I will give this series a second chance but read the book myself next time.

Amendment 11th May 2019
Now I have listened to several more books in this series I want to apologise hugely to Kobna Holdbrook-Smith who narrated his book and all the rest. I have no idea now why I took against him in the first book, but by the last one I cannot imagine anyone else who could read them as well as he did!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rivers of London.

July 10, 2013 – Shelved
July 10, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
January 1, 2015 – Started Reading
January 24, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by Carolyn (last edited Jan 25, 2015 02:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carolyn The narrator can make such a difference can't they? Now if it had been Benedict Cumberbatch, your rating might have been quite different!

Phrynne We can only dream:)

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen Sounds annoying!!! Next novel he might be slurping his spaghetti noodles! Can you give feedback for audiobooks?

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Haha! Jen you had me laughing out loud there!!

message 5: by Marianne (new)

Marianne Excellent review as always, Phrynne!

message 6: by ☮Karen (new)

☮Karen How annoying!

message 7: by C. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C. That would drive me nuts. Being sound-sensitive to certian things is why I have not tried an audiobook yet but I own two, by the authors, who are known to be great orators: William Shatner and Bill Clinton! I love this series and had the last chapters not been rushed with threads dangling, it felt like five-star reading.

Phrynne I am so glad you brought this old review of mine back to my attention C! I am going to revise it in a minute to take my later experiences into account.

message 9: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex Cantone Not a fan of audio books myself - too intrusive - but I still have this one to track down. Excellent series.

Phrynne I still wonder why I hated the narrator so much on this first book but came to love his work later. Maybe the poor guy had flu or something:)