Marie's Reviews > Sweet Thing

Sweet Thing by Renee Carlino

it was ok
bookshelves: ebook, new-adult, new-york-city, review-book, read-in-2013, music, arc, netgalley

This review was originally posted on my blog, Ramblings of a Daydreamer. You can find it, and many more reviews at the blog.

I have really mixed feelings about Sweet Thing. The synopsis piqued my interest, as did the gorgeous cover (which was changed when the book was picked up by a publisher). Between that and the fact that reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, I went in with high hopes. While I liked the story itself, I hate to say that I had some pretty big issues with it.

My main issue was Mia. I don’t think I’ve ever disliked a main character more than I disliked Mia. In the prologue and the first chapter, she seemed like this strong, capable girl who had her act together, but from there, she completely fell apart. She was fickle and judgmental, she made (mostly wrong) assumptions about nearly everyone, but especially Will, she constantly jumped to conclusions, and she spent a great deal of time feeling sorry for herself.

The relationship between Will and Mia made me angry more often than not because of Mia’s attitude. She lead him on and was forever giving him mixed signals. She didn’t want him but didn’t want anyone else to have him and would get jealous if he so much as looked at another girl. She claimed Will was her best friend, but she didn’t seem to know him at all, or know that her ridiculous, judgmental assumptions about him were wrong.

As for Will, I liked him well enough. He was a different kind of male lead, which I liked. He was comfortable with himself and who he was, and he didn’t make excuses or apologies for his actions. He was affectionate and exuberant and spontaneous, and while I didn’t fall for him, I could see how some girls would. I didn’t understand what he saw in Mia, but I liked how loyal and patient he was while she didn’t know what the hell she wanted.

About 90% of the way through the book, something magical happened. I stopped hating Mia. She finally got her shit together, pulled her head out of her ass, and stopped being a whiny, self-destructive girl. I won’t say it was too little too late, because she did mostly redeem herself, and I absolutely loved the ending, her song, and the epilogue. Loved. It saved the book in my opinion.

One thing I did love about Sweet Thing was the setting. I love books set in New York City, and I enjoyed getting to see bits of the city, the café, and Mia and Will’s apartment. The music aspect of the book was great, and I really enjoyed that. I also liked that there was quite a bit of humour to offset the serious, dramatic, and often-emotional aspects of the book.

I really don’t know how to sum up this review. It’s hard to like a book when you hate the main character. The fact that Mia redeemed herself and that the ending was good enough that it actually made me tear up says a lot, but it wasn’t enough to completely redeem the book for me. However, I will say that I enjoyed Carlino’s writing style, and I won’t hesitate to read books from her in the future, even though I didn’t love Sweet Thing. I also wouldn’t hesitate to tell people to give this one a shot, because I seem to be in the minority with my feelings, and I know many people have loved this book, so hopefully you will too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Thing.

July 10, 2013 – Started Reading
July 14, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 16, 2013 – Shelved as: music
September 18, 2013 – Shelved as: arc
September 18, 2013 – Shelved as: netgalley

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Jenin I agree with you 100%, Mia was just horrible. Uggh I can't stand her.