Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Royal Exile

Royal Exile by Fiona McIntosh

Aug 06, 2009

bookshelves: 4-stars, 2009, arc, fantasy, not-owned

It seems that most fantasy books these days are part of a series. I guess there's so much that needs to be thought out in order to invent a fantasy universe, that it seems like a waste to only use it for one book, so they're turned into series instead. That in itself doesn't bother me, but it does get old when one constantly reads books with no real conclusion, because the plot continues in the next novel.

Royal Exile is such a book. Thankfully I'm familiar with Fiona McIntosh's writing, so I was forewarned that this might be the case before I started the book, and therefore didn't mind as much as I usually would. It also helped a lot that the book was absolutely brilliant, so I was completely drawn in by the universe and the characters. Royal Exile sets the scene magnificently. The characters are complex, and the complication without no simple resolution. I'm very interested in seeing what happens next.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Exile.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Wow, I think this is the first time anyone's described one of her books as being brilliant!! You're making it hard for me to resist :D

Y'know I don't have a problem with continuing storylines, except where the books are published so far apart that you completely forget everything (the downside of recaps is when you have just read the previous book and so the first chapters bore the crap off you while they rehash everything. One of the later Sword of Truth books did that - the one where everyone's memory of Khalan is wiped except for Richard's.)

Maria Elmvang This is the first of her books that's deserved that praise... either that, or the others I've read (the Pecheron saga) have just been so dull that this one seemed brilliant by comparison ;-)

Haven't read the Sword of Truth book yet - think it's the next up.

Shannon (Giraffe Days) No, you're not wrong - her writing began as atrocious and has slowly improved, but is still cliche-ridden and predictable in Pecheron. So, fingers crossed ;)

Maria Elmvang There are still cliches in this one, but not nearly as many as in Pecheron, and some of her characters are actually quite complex! I think you'd like it :)