Jennifer's Reviews > Flame

Flame by Amy Kathleen Ryan

bookshelves: sci-fi, young-adult

Another ending to a trilogy...I started this knowing how much I liked the first two, like many other trilogies, and just hoped I would enjoy the ending...and I did. It wasn't smooth sailing though.

It’s been quite awhile since I read the other two and unable to find a good summary to recap I had to remember as I read since I don’t reread. It was easy to get back into the story though but maybe because it was slow and it let me get to know the characters again although I know I was missing the feelings of love or hate that came with the previous two books (I recommend reading them closer together to get the full effect!). It was intriguing and I was interested but it was slow and at times confusing and I wanted it to pick up. When it finally did I felt it was a little chaotic. Action packed but chaotic. Then it had a fantastic, although bittersweet, ending that left me smiling, a little teary, and satisfied.

I feel like the Sky Chasers series is unique. The villains and heroes all have good and bad in them making it hard to figure out what is right throughout the series. In Flame, I liked that although their stories were separate mostly, our 3 “heroes” came together in a way, despite their differences, to try to do what they thought was right and help one another. The villains are corrupt and manipulative and you never know who you should trust. I think that’s what I enjoy the most about this book. The characters continued the struggle with good, bad and forgiveness. I also enjoyed the appearance and stories of some of the side characters I had wondered about.

Overall Flame was a good ending to a great series. Corrupt villains of all sorts, heroes you don’t always love and even a love story that I was surprisingly happy with by the end. Even though I didn't love it like I did the other two books I wasn't completely disappointed either!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flame.

July 10, 2013 – Shelved