Jason Koivu's Reviews > The Chase

The Chase by Clive Cussler

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction

The Chase is part mystery, suspense, thriller, action, romance, historical fiction and detective story - an overflowing melting pot of genres, and unfortunately with all that going for it I still didn't find it as exciting as I expected, especially for all the hype I've heard about Clive Cussler. I'm not saying it was terrible or I was bored out of my mind, I did finish the book after all, but by the end I must say I felt let down.

If you like technology, you'll find a novel full of specific early 20th century details about the cars, trains, motorcycles, guns of the time. Cussler has also wedged in as much west coast, period-appropriate history as he can such as the San Francisco earthquake and resulting fire of 1906, actor John Barrymore popping up as a young thespian, Jack London reports on the scene, and an explanation of the Donner Party. Some of it works and some is inserted as smoothly as a rectal exam.

There are occasional info dumps that stilt up dialogue so that the lines read like narrative. And stuff like "I don't believe it," Bronson blurted in utter disbelief. shouldn't get past an editor from a major publisher.

His main character, a detective working for a Pinkerton-esque company, is a cocky rich guy, who can buy whatever he wants or needs, and that makes things pretty darn easy for him. And that just might be the main issue I had with The Chase...The thrill is gone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chase.

July 9, 2013 – Started Reading
July 9, 2013 – Shelved
July 13, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Ron (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ron Jason, Later volumes in the series are a bit better.

Jason Koivu Ron wrote: "Jason, Later volumes in the series are a bit better."

Have you read other Cussler series? If so, are they better than this?

message 3: by Ron (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ron I would say that they are more fun. Also they do not have the trick ending found in The Chase. The characters develop more. There is a bit of history provided about early aircraft, submarines, etc. depending upon the tale you are reading. I find them entertaining.

Jason Koivu Ron wrote: "I would say that they are more fun. Also they do not have the trick ending found in The Chase. The characters develop more. There is a bit of history provided about early aircraft, submarines, et..."

Thanks!

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark "Inserted as smoothly as a rectal exam.

Hahaha, I get the image, I only wish I hadn't.

Jason Koivu Mark wrote: ""Inserted as smoothly as a rectal exam.

Hahaha, I get the image, I only wish I hadn't."

There ought to be experts - analologists - that teach doctors techniques on proper lubing and insertion.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Mark I am saying aaaaabsolutley nothing !

Jason Koivu Mark wrote: "I am saying aaaaabsolutley nothing !"

That's the difference between me and you. You know when enough is enough. :)