Annie's Reviews > Seducing Mr. Darcy

Seducing Mr. Darcy by Gwyn Cready

Aug 05, 2009

bookshelves: comedy-cute-romance, historical

Seducing Mr. Darcy is a novel that, while perusing the stacks, looking for the next great read, you stop to glance at the cover to snicker and maybe make a snarky remark about, then keep looking for your next book. However, I personally have a habit of picking up and looking at (and then usually reading) the various Jane Austen spinoff books (and let me tell you there are a lot). When I saw the title was Seducing Mr. Darcy, I couldn’t resist reading the back cover…after reading the blurb of what it was about I knew I had to read it:

Mr. Darcy just isn't Flip Allison's style. She prefers novels with hot sex on the bathroom sink to the mannerly, high-tension longing of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. That is, until she pays a visit to Madame K, who promises a therapeutic massage with an opportunity to "Imagine Yourself in Your Favorite Book." Somehow, on the way to a sizzling sink-top session with a Venetian Adonis, Flip lands right in the middle of Regency England — and dangerously close to handsome Mr. Darcy. So close, in fact, that she discovers a side of him even Jane Austen couldn't have imagined.

My dear friend Becky likes to try out new authors and types of books so I recommended this novel to her, shoving it into her hands (she really wasn’t sure about my taste in books or the book itself when she saw the cover) but she took it anyways. After reading it (and receiving texts praising it while she was reading it) Becky wrote up a fantastic review on her author blog saying, “That said, my horizons were expanded this weekend as I delved into the pages of a unique, well written, goofy, complex romance that featured the characters from Jane Austen's beloved Pride and Prejudice and a modern day bird researcher. The main character is funny, the story is action packed, the hero is smart and likeable.... Anyway if you have the time and a large glass of wine and an empty couch to lie on - pick it up, it's a good one. I pinky swear.”

If you see this book, read it, especially Austenites and Pride and Prejudice fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seducing Mr. Darcy.