Luke Burrage's Reviews > The Darkness That Comes Before

The Darkness That Comes Before by R. Scott Bakker

bookshelves: paper-book, audio-book, recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners, reviewed-on-the-sfbrp
Read 2 times. Last read January 1, 2008.

Full review on my podcast, SFBRP episode #266.

Second time through, and I enjoyed it more this time. Partly due to knowing what happens to these characters later on, and partly due to the audiobook experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkness That Comes Before.

Finished Reading
January 30, 2015 – Shelved as: audio-book
January 30, 2015 – Shelved as: recommended-by-sfbrp-listeners
January 30, 2015 – Shelved as: reviewed-on-the-sfbrp
February 1, 2015 –
30.0% "Fun to re-read this. Lots of stuff happening that I remember, but not in the order I remember it."
February 8, 2015 –
60.0% "Only now getting to the part of the story that I remember this book opening with. Memory is weird. Also I really enjoy reading the beginnings of characters who, in four books time, are involved in epic storylines. So good."

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Matt Uebel would love to hear what you think of this book.

Luke Burrage Matt wrote: "would love to hear what you think of this book."

Matt Uebel Luke wrote: "Matt wrote: "would love to hear what you think of this book."

Check out this list of all episodes by author to check out if I've already read your book!"

Yeah, sorry about that Luke. Checked right after making the comment and realized my mistake.

I just got done with the first book and am waiting for my next set of audible credits to get the rest of the first trilogy.

Do you plan on reading the second trilogy?

Wissam Hi Luke, a couple of things regarding your podcast review of TDTCB.

The wikipedia entry regarding The Unholy Consult is a bit out of date, the last comment Bakker made was that he is still wrapping up the rewrites on the book, that was in January of this year. It is unlikely that the book will come out in 2015. 2016 most likely. Although no one knows for sure.

There is an appendix at the end of TDTCB with some of the pronunciations of the character names (the same ones on wikipedia). That's where the pronunciations in the audiobook come from. Although Bakker has been saying since then that there are no official pronunciations, even he pronounced some names differently in interviews. (He claims that his name is pronounced 'baker' by the way.)

If you're interested in the series you might want to read a short-story that Bakker published on his website called The False Sun , it is very good. Although Bakker has warned that it constitutes a spoiler for the setting but not the plot of the Second Apocalypse.

Cheers,

Luke Burrage Wissam wrote: "Hi Luke, a couple of things regarding your podcast review of TDTCB.

Thanks. I'll check out the False Sun once I've finished the Warrior Prophet.