Asta Olafs's Reviews > Allison Hewitt Is Trapped

Allison Hewitt Is Trapped by Madeleine Roux

it was ok
bookshelves: own

I bought "Allison Hewitt is Trapped" by Madeleine Roux while I was on vacation in Boston. I was checking out all the bookstores I could get to and this book was one of my spontaneous buys. I bought it because I liked the cover, I mean Zombies + books = must be awesome. Right?

Well, no. As I opened the book I got my first warning sign of this, as the title is decorated with comically draw skulls. Now, I have nothing against skulls. It's just that I was under the assumption that this was a horror novel, not a Young Adult novel (Note: the book was far away from the YA section in the Harvard book store and on display next to "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis).

I ventured on and thought my worries had been for naught when the story and characters turned out be entertaining and interesting. Allison Hewitt, the main character, was relatable, likable and brave.
This, however, all changes at the 100 page mark (view spoiler)

Another thing I realized should have been a warning sign for me are the four quotes on the cover, praising the book. These quotes are all written by fellow female authors, not critics (and that is never a good sign). These authors are all the writers of teen supernatural romance series and when reading the quotes one even gets the feeling that they never read "Allison Hewitt is Trapped".

This book should clearly have been placed in the YA section, where horror fans, such as myself, could have avoided it and people looking for zombie YA books could have enjoyed it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allison Hewitt Is Trapped.

Started Reading
July 5, 2013 – Finished Reading
July 8, 2013 – Shelved
July 8, 2013 – Shelved as: own

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Carolyn F. (new) - added it

Carolyn F. I agree about the quotes but Ilona Andrews books aren't teen romance. Although she must have read a totally different book to find it a "smart and furious thrill ride". And MaryJanice Davidson saying the book, "I've never laughed so much while being so creeped out. . . she made zombies funny" is an out-and-out lie!