Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Dangerous Girls

Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

liked it
bookshelves: dark-or-taboo, frustrating, made-me-emotional, mystery, suspense-or-thriller, realistic-general-or-lit-fiction, new-adult-college
Recommended for: Fans of books which mess with your head

Sex, drugs, lies & murder.

update note : 6 hours later and I'm still thinking about Dangerous Girls. I can't stop debating whether my rating should be a 3 or 4. Even though I had issues with the characters, this book's ending has me continuing to dwell on it, which must count for something. I need a person who's read this to discuss it with!

3.5 stars. I just finished this book and I feel physically ill. If you took shades of the Natalee Holloway and Amanda Knox cases and added in a few elements of Brokedown Palace and Cruel Intentions, you'd be somewhere in the ballpark of what's going on here, but still not close enough.

I fought a battle in my head over how to rate this book. I hated the characters, hated their actions, and hated the entire chain of events leading up to the reveal.

BUT. Giving credit where it's due - I couldn't stop reading. There was a lot of mind-f*cking going on here. And I'm pretty sure there were a few moments in the telling of this story which were a stroke of genius. It's not uncommon to find books that mess with your head, and a good portion of them are shock value with no real merit. However, this particular tale had some real thought put into the entire chain of events. There was an instance in this book which reminded me exactly of a situation that I went through while on vacation with friends and I almost ran to the bathroom and threw up because it felt like a punch to the gut.

Once the chain of events was set in motion, I couldn't stop reading. Even though I thought some of the back-story was silly and fluffy, it was necessary to have it there in order to show the bond between the two girls - one alive and one now dead. As I continued reading, the tone switched from frivolous to dark. My stomach started doing flips when I realized something was going on in the background that I didn't like. From there, I had to know what was going to happen next.

In all honesty, I never understood why everyone was drawn to the Elise (the dead girl) in the first place. We all know girls who are the life of the party (or we happened to be that girl) and the character of Elise didn't strike me as all that note-worthy. Ah well, I guess that's why she's the dead one and we're following someone else's trial, haha.

It's hard to know who to recommend this book to. Fans of mind-f*ck books will definitely be first on the list. You know who you are. Go ahead, get your copy. Please do. Then come back and let me know your thoughts about that ending. THAT ending. Good lord, THAT ending. I suspected it could happen, then discounted my thoughts after something else happened, then realized I SHOULDN'T HAVE DISCOUNTED anything.

So what about the rest of you? Well, it depends. Are you in the mood for something different? Are you willing to go through a little bit of emotional turmoil in order to read something that's going to get you thinking? If so, then I'd think you might want to consider this.

Not a fan of whodunnits or relationship drama? Then you'll want to steer clear.

This book provided from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Girls.

July 8, 2013 – Started Reading
July 8, 2013 – Shelved
July 9, 2013 –
56.0% "I have a huge suspicion about the motive in this murder case and if I'm right, I'm going to be sad and disgusted."
July 9, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)

Nikki I immediately thought of the Holloway case as well.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Right? With all of the places to Spring Break/Summer vacation, this was the place picked. Odd.

Nikki With a murder no less! The only reason I can think of would be something about their judicial system and the twists the author wanted to use? I don't know, regardless it seems a weird choice. I'm interested to see how you feel about this one!

Stacia (the 2010 club) It was crazier in the end than I'd expected. But I did see some stuff coming from earlier foreshadowing. But it was still crazy!

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara "Elise didn't strike me as all that note-worthy. Ah well, I guess that's why she's the dead one and we're following someone else's trial, haha."
Um...wow. This sounds just odd enough for me to attempt it. I

message 6: by Ivy (new)

Ivy What is the Natalee Holloway case and what is it about?

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies What about Jodi Arias? Are there ninjas?

Applebloom I'm interested in this one- people say it's frustratingly good. Fantastic review. ;)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Hey, it's a My Little Pony party! The book was frustrating, but I CAN'T stop thinking about it which means that it certainly had an impact.

Ivy wrote: "What is the Natalee Holloway case and what is it about?"

She was a teenager who went missing in Aruba a few years back and as far as I know, her body was never found. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalee_...
The guy Joran Van der Sloot who was questioned was caught on tape years later joking about killing her but I think the evidence was inadmissible in court, although the same guy was implicated in another death in South America.

Khanh wrote: "What about Jodi Arias? Are there ninjas?"

I actually had to go look that case up. I'm not sure why I don't remember that one. I remember the Casey Anthony incident happened around that same time period, which was horrific when Kaylee went missing and was later found.

Melanie OMG. BAHAHAHAHA. *struggles to contain laughter* APPLEBLOOM INVASION. MLP FOR THE WIN PEOPLE. Hehe

Anyhoo, fab review Stacia. ;) I can't wait to read this- I have seen many 5 star reviews and murder mysteries seem to be some of my favourite genres lately.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm still pondering my rating. I might bump it up to 4. I hated the characters so much, but the book was crazy entertaining there toward the end.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Melanie wrote: "OMG. BAHAHAHAHA. *struggles to contain laughter* APPLEBLOOM INVASION. MLP FOR THE WIN PEOPLE. Hehe

Seriously. I'm going to dream about MLP tonight.

Melanie Join the club. :P

message 14: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Colour me intrigued :)

Amir at NotSoLiterary This is one of my most anticipated books for this year. Can't wait for it to come out..definitely a mind f*uck reader me :)

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister Sounds intense. I always find it difficult to rate a book where I despised the characters, but the story was powerful enough to remain in my head. It tempts me to rate each element individually...but that would get chaotic, lol. GREAT review! :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks. At least you get what I mean. It's hard to explain. I think the book is worth reading but for the twists and turns, not for love of the characters.

Amir, this will be a book for you if you're into mind f*cks, for sure.

Crystal, I'd be curious to see what you think. I am not sure if you will like or dislike this one!

message 18: by Ivy (new)

Ivy Thanks Stacia! I wasn't really sure what it was about.

message 20: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Wonderful review! I'm not so much a fan of the mindf*cks, so I think I'll pass. Thanks for the heads up!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thank you Karla. :)

message 22: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy So do you think -- SPOILER -- Elise and Anna had a thang going on? The more I thought about the ending (I gave it five stars because I can't stop thinking about it), the more I could see clues that were dropped. There are obvious holes - wouldn't the police have access to texts that Elise sent Tate, for example, and you KNOW that ho sent him some texts - but I am obsessed. Did Tate love Anna? Would he (or Elise) have left her? And those newscasters I inwardly mocked while reading? They are geniuses!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I think that (view spoiler)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Also, I'm right there with you because I had a similar reaction. The ending kept me thinking long after I'd finished reading.

message 25: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy SPOILERS

I agree with you, especially how much of everything was Anna's delusion. Looking at some of the expert analysis of her, you can see how detached she was from reality. She said several times that she couldn't bear losing Elise, and she also was quite proprietary where Tate was concerned. Do you think he loved her, or did he use her? He doesn't seem like a liar, but then again, he was, wasn't he? I can't get a read on how he felt about Elise, either. If he loved her, then he would have publicized his rendezvous with her. Do you think Melanie lied about overhearing Anna and Elise fight? If Anna caught Elise with Tate and then murdered her when everyone was gone, they couldn't have argued, right?

The scene where Elise shows up at Anna's house after Anna was late meeting her was really surreal. I went back and reread that after the ending. It makes me wonder if Elise didn't love Anna as much as Anna did Elise, and if perhaps neither of them could live without the other. Elise warned Anna repeatedly that Tate would cheat on her. I guess Elise wanted to make sure she and Anna would always be together?

message 26: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin Stacia, you've captured my feelings exactly. I just finished reading this book ten minutes ago and I can't stop thinking about it. When I stated it, I wasn't sure I'd like it enough to finish, but who needs sleep? (It's 4 am)!

Stacia (the 2010 club) It's that ending. It really gets to you, doesn't it?

cupcake wrote: "I agree with you, especially how much of everything was..."

I never saw this comment. Sorry for the late reply. I never thought about (view spoiler)

Delee I felt exactly the same way about this book. I thought it was just me before I read your review.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It was a weird train of thoughts to have to process. I'm still thinking about that ending, even now.

Delee Yeah for me too. It really bothered me. I felt like the author was trying to make a statement that when I read the ending completely changed. I am not sure if that makes sense...but I am trying not to give the ending away on your post. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thank you for that. :) You wouldn't believe the spoilers I get sometimes!

It was just weird. I thought it was (view spoiler)

Delee Yes, I did the same. Guessed it, and then thought naaah... Couldn't be.

Delee I had a really hard time reviewing this one. You did a great job!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I just finished this one and HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, that ending. WOW. I was thoroughly impressed. It reminded me a lot of the book Gone Girl with the mindf*ckery and I really enjoyed it even though I felt like Anna never really had any interests... but wowwww!

message 36: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Sep 17, 2013 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) The ending was definitely a trip. I still need to read Gone Girl. It's one I've been interested in for a while.

message 37: by Elaine (last edited Sep 17, 2013 11:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elaine Stacia ~ Admittedly Apathetic wrote: "The ending was definitely a trip. I still need to read Gone Girl. It's one I've been interested in for a while."

I've never been mindf**kd by any book other than Gone Girl so far, tbqh. Unfortunately, the first half (or quite possibly more than half) of the book was hard for me to get through. But read it Stacia! I want to see what you think of it.

Also, thanks for the review. I'm definitely a fan of mindf**k books :P

Amanda (.---.--.-...-) I finished. I'm totally torn up and have more questions than answers. Can someone answer this:(view spoiler)

Stacia (the 2010 club) I wish I could remember enough detail to be able to answer that.

I went to answer your inbox message and GR will not let me reply. Seems bugged. Will go back through the convo when it will let me answer.

Mary Brebner OMG. This book pissed me off so much. I can't believe that ending. It IS worth reading but I hated it, too. Hated it a lot. I needed Karma to step in and take care of things.

Allie I could cut and paste your review and then just write ^^ditto.

message 42: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Oct 11, 2013 09:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) Haha. I had a hard time figuring out what to say about the book because it was such a yes/no feeling the entire time.

Mary wrote: "OMG. This book pissed me off so much. I can't believe that ending. It IS worth reading but I hated it, too. Hated it a lot. I needed Karma to step in and take care of things."

My biggest stumbling block was the characters themselves. I cared more about knowing what had happened with the murder than what actually happened to the characters because I didn't like any of them, which was actually kind of sad. Normally, this would have been a 2 star (or lower) book for me because of my dislike for the characters, so I understand where you're coming from. Rarely, do I let a twist sway me (Consequences was like that for me - the book was so bad that the WTF twist at the end didn't help, no matter how interesting it was, so I had to 1 star it), but I had a rare moment of appreciation for the buildup in this instance.

Rebecca Espinoza Oh, you've already read it! Well, darn. I was looking forward to it, but now I'm not so sure.

Rebecca Espinoza Oh and Amanda rated it 3 too. Bummer.

message 45: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Great review! I just got this and I'm so anxious to start it bc it sounds so twisted and f'ed up...just like I like!

Stacia (the 2010 club) You'll have to let me know what you think of it!

message 47: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen just finished….I really enjoyed it. It was different and I like that!

Stacia (the 2010 club) I just asked you about the ending on your book page.

message 49: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess I've just finished. And I'm freaking out! That ending. WHAT?!

message 50: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess I know! Dangerous Boys! Lets hope she isn't a one trick pony.

But man...Dangerous Girls. Seriously didn't see that coming. I had put my money on (view spoiler) But having read over the last few pages especially that last scene...I guess it makes sense. Obsession is some bad mojo.

« previous 1