Erin's Reviews > Temping Is Hell

Temping Is Hell by Cathy Yardley

bookshelves: for-blog-review

"All right, damn it," he bellowed, his voice echoing against the concrete. "Which one of you ate another temp?" ~Aloysius, Loc 18

This story is definitely more urban fantasy than paranormal romance, which I wasn't expecting but was pleasantly surprised by. The paranormal element doesn't smack you in the face, instead it's more of a "oh, you thought this was just your average office romance story??..." plot. Kate walked into hellions on earth (literally) when she took on her new temp job, but she didn't even know what was going on right in front of her until the strange clues became so obvious she just couldn't deny any longer that something very strange was going on in the basement of her new place of work! There were some hilarious moments that had me cracking up, many times at poor Kate's expense!!

Of all the things that could have happened to her, she wanted to start a damned union. For demons. ~Thomas, Loc 1370

Let me just say right off the bat, I loved Kate in this story! She's kind of got a bad rap for causing a lot of trouble wherever she goes, but I felt like she was just unlucky and misunderstood. A LOT. Her life was just a comedy of errors on her part, much to her family's chagrin, because they usually paid the price along with her. But through it all, she was quirky and stood her ground on her ideals, and I just loved what an entertaining character she was as a result!! When her new temp job at rich playboy Thomas Kestrel's company got her all entangled in soul contracts and betrayals, she was in for a world of hurt. Her need to do right by people, even when they aren't ACTUAL people, was very noble but cost her dearly. She was in knee deep with Thomas before she could blink!

As for Thomas, he was definitely fitting his role as sexy rich businessman quite well!! He was such a tormented man, with everything he went through with his wife that had passed away weighing on him. He really had blinders on as he did whatever he needed despite who got hurt around him, though, and it had him and Kate at arm's length. They were hot when they were together, but when things started to get real for them it got cold pretty fast!

Then she realized--for all she knew, that was her new job description. Pick up dry cleaning. Arrange for murder of asshole number two. File TPS report. Ugh. ~Kate, Loc 3295

It'll be interesting to see what happens between Kate and Thomas as they work together to fight the underworld and save their souls, but I'm hoping they don't keep the icy walls up for too long for the rest of this series, because they're just too fun together!! This was a great start to the Necessary Evil series, and I look forward to what Cathy Yardley has in store next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temping Is Hell.

July 8, 2013 – Shelved