Nicholas Armstrong's Reviews > Idoru

Idoru by William Gibson

Aug 04, 2009

liked it
Read in March, 2008

William Gibson impresses me more with his imagination than with his story or characters. He is the inventor of cyber-punk and steam-punk (there were some others too but forget them). His concepts and worlds are ones that our world seems to use as guidelines. Reading a Gibson book is what I imagine a computer would see if it could take an acid trip.

The characters aren't great, but they are pretty good. More impressive than anything is his world. It is so real that it feels like I'm going to start seeing his ideas on the news in ten years. He takes my mind and jacks it into a computer and then fries it.

That being said, sometimes it is hard to keep up with. So much of the setting is without a physical context and my mind is constantly trying to build the world within a world within a world.

The conflicts are okay, a bit trite, but that's alright. The characters are more parts of a greater whole, of this super-cyber-world of information than anything else.

I recommend virtually any Gibson because his worlds make my mind twitch and itch.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Idoru.