Meg's Reviews > Abhorsen

Abhorsen by Garth Nix

Aug 04, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy-young-adult, 2009

This series isn't a trilogy so much as it is a single book (Sabriel) and a two part sequel set 20 years later. I was not as thrilled with this book as I was with the first two. Maybe it felt a little predictable within the framework set up by the previous two books. My favorite part of this series is that it is a strong twist on the standard fantasy setting. The universe is familiar to fantasy readers (a magical land alongside a non-magical one) but it's handled in a way that feels fresh.

Maybe some of the problem here is that the villain doesn't really exist until the very end of the story, so the sense of urgency suffers. Plus the stakes are a little too high and the twist too predictable. The freeing of an ancient God so evil and powerful it will destroy all life on the planet is a plot that pretty much has one ending - one of the good guys sacrifices themselves so that the good guys win against impossible odds. I liked the way it was executed and the mythology itself felt well realized, but about halfway through I knew pretty much what was going to happen and I wasn't very far off.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abhorsen.