Guy Gonzalez's Reviews > Children of the Shaman

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended to Guy by: Serendipity
Recommended for: Everyone!
Read in January, 2003 — I own a copy

Back in 2003, before I realized I actually liked the fantasy genre, I went looking for an interesting read to get my feet wet, and after an hour scouring the bookshelves, I came across Children of the Shaman and was intrigued by both its cover art and blurb. Serendipity FTW! In Shaman, Rydill creates a world of heightened reality that is grounded in familiar spiritual and religious metaphors, and gives it all a refreshing spin. Her characters are very strong, particularly Yuda and Annat, and it is their strength that really carries the refreshingly original story. I enjoyed it so much that I paid extra for the sequel, The Glass Mountain, ordering it via Amazon.co.uk, because it wasn't being published in the US and don't believe it ever was; there's also no sign of the third book, Malarat, ever being published at all. If I was to start my own imprint, one of my first moves would be to get the rights to republish these and market the hell out of them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Children of the Shaman.