Lauren's Reviews > Second Verse

Second Verse by Jennifer Walkup

bookshelves: first-reads, mystery, favorites

Wow. I mean WOW!
Oh right, terms & conditions crap first. To comply with the terms and conditions that I'm sure no one ever reads, I hereby disclose in this, my review, that I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Just a heads up for the publishing company, when you print this in paperback, make sure the cover is going to last. Mine's already peeling along the edges, and I treat my books like delicate lace. No rough and tumble here.
Ok, now that that's over and done with... WOW!

This book was FANTASTIC. Jennifer Walkup had me from "If I have to listen to one more debate about decapitation versus stabbing, I may just throw up." I was really concerned at first, since I've been on such a book drought lately. I was mostly interested in it when I'd seen it in the giveaways becasue it was about a town in PA, which is where I grew up. Honestly, it really doesn't make a huge difference, since I'm not even sure if the town is real or not, but I just don't read a lot of books that take place in my area, so I got excited. Probably more excited than I needed to be or care to admit.

I really like that it was both a murder mystery and a bit of a romance novel. It was a cute twist the way the author entwined the two. It didn't get too lovey-dovey, and it didn't feel like I was reading a mystery and the author forced some romance in there to add another layer and make the story more palitable. I will say this though, the description of some of the more intimate moments made me quite jealous of Lang and Vaughn as well as Ginny and Beau. I'm not really much of a romantic, but some of those moments were so incredibly sweet. I wish I could find somebody and be in a relationship half as strong as theirs. Also, I never got sick of reading it, which I often find with books that have an old or historical murder to solve as well as books with too cutsey love stories. This one had a nice balance.

The two main characters were well developed, although I would have liked a little more info for some of the supporting characters. I don't need a lot, but just something other than Vaughn's word that Stacy isn't normally as crazy as she came across at times. Maybe a little more on Lang's mom or her photography, or something. I'm not saying that ALL the supporting characters needed more, but definitely a few. Like Ben, for example. We know so little about him and yet he's supposed to be in Lang's little group of friends. He honestly doesn't need to be in the story at all. He doesn't really add to it in any way and most of his actions, with few exceptions, could be done by some no-name classmate.

The paranormal plot twist threw me a little. By that, I just mean that it was sudden. I know it's crucial to the storyline, but it just came at me. Before that point in the book, I never would have thought that it was going to take a supernatural twist. It just didn't read like that. I really don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing... it just is, I guess. I liked the twist towards the end. I won't say what it was b/c I don't want to spoil it for everybody else. That's just cruel. I will say that I liked it a lot though, and definitely did NOT see it coming.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book (obviously, since I gave it 5 stars, which I really don't do too often). I only make one STRONG suggestion to readers. Starting, oh, I don't know... about half way through the book, or so... DON'T READ IT RIGHT BEFORE YOU GO TO BED. ESPECIALLY if you are up late by yourself. Lets just say, in my desire to finish it, I may have caused myself to have nightmares last night...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Verse.

July 7, 2013 – Shelved
July 7, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 14, 2013 – Started Reading
July 14, 2013 –
page 8
4.0% "Very excited to continue this, and if I didn't have work in the morning/ wasn't exhausted, I'd probably dig further into it tonight. LOVE the first line."
July 17, 2013 –