Maureen's Reviews > The Girls of Slender Means

The Girls of Slender Means by Muriel Spark

Aug 04, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009

the girls of slender means, my first muriel spark read, didn't bowl me over. i like her style, and the opening chapter led me to believe i'd really like this novel, however for such a short book it really felt long, and sometimes tedious. the highlight were the wonderful scenes involving the squeezing through a bathroom window. i spoke to adrian, who put me onto her, and he gave me grief for choosing this as my first muriel spark. so now i will seek out the prime of miss jean brodie, the driver's seat, or the abbess of crewe for my next attempt.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girls of Slender Means.

August 4, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
October 11, 2009 – Finished Reading
November 27, 2009 – Shelved as: 2009

John I've read a lot of Spark - you picked the worst book with which to start!

Bettie☯ John wrote: "I've read a lot of Spark - you picked the worst book with which to start!"

I'd have to agree with you both - it left me cold.

Maureen ha! well, i do buy a lot of books used, and sometimes people offload a title because it's not the best the author has to offer. i suspect this was one of these times. feel free to suggest other titles if you like. :)

John Her big hit The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is probably a good place to start, and then perhaps Memento Mori.

Greg Maureen, I agree with everything you say. BTW, I just finished "Driver's Seat", and it was, simply, stupendously disturbing.