seak's Reviews > Reflex

Reflex by Steven Gould

Jul 06, 2013

bookshelves: audio, 2014

There's something about this series that's really sunk it's teeth into me. I already have the third book, Impulse, queued up on the iPod. There's something about this simple concept of being able to teleport that's absolutely captivating.

And I had misgivings going into this one. How could it top the first one? What else can you do with teleportation, right? Turns out, plenty.

I don't know if these are really spoilers for the first book, but I'll go ahead and warn. There are a few I guess.

We know Davy can teleport and he can do really cool things with it, though there are limits. He can't just go anywhere, he has to have been there, and not only that, he has to remember the place.

By the end of book one, Davy is taking covert jobs with unnamed government entities, but of course this creates some waves. And it's a bit hard to keep it a secret after a while. Not everyone's unconscious when they're being teleported away and sometimes other people are present ... such as an entire plane full of people.

So some "bad guys" take notice and figure out a way to keep Davy captive. These parts were extremely captivating, where Davy pushes the boundaries of his captivity while suffering tortures, you name it.

On the other side, Millie, now Davy's wife, is stuck in the Erie (I've only 'read' these on audio, so you'll have to forgive spelling), which is the couple's home on the side of a cliff. The only way in and out is through teleportation. Sucks to be the one who can't...

But there's a plan they put in place to get out and she follows it. I won't go into detail for fear of spoiling too much, but it works out and she's on the hunt for her beau.

Flipping back and forth from Davy's captivity to Millie's search, the story starts to come together and lots of great teleportation ensues.

Overall, I thought this was a great installment with lots of thought into how to keep a person captive who can teleport. I'm looking forward to continuing this story in Impulse.

A note on the narration. Macleod Andrews once again takes the reigns here and does a commendable job. He's got the right mix of vulnerability and stubbornness that really catch the essence of Davy.

4 out of 5 Stars (highly recommended)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reflex.

July 6, 2013 – Shelved
July 6, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 17, 2014 – Started Reading
July 17, 2014 – Shelved as: audio
July 30, 2014 – Shelved as: 2014
July 30, 2014 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome The latest one is supposed to have a space component.

seak I just started it and now I'm looking forward to space. Reading some of the reviews of Impulse, though, does not get me excited for the book. Shouldn't have done that. :)