Bree's Reviews > Panic

Panic by Lauren Oliver

bookshelves: to-read

Honestly, I love Lauren Oliver as much as the next person, I think she's very talented and creative.
But come.on.
This blurb?

Am I the only one who realises?
Really?!
To me, it practically screams Hunger. Games.
But to be fair, I'm going to read it in respect to Lauren Oliver and to actually see if it will be a Hunger Games repeat.
I'm praying it won't....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Panic.

July 5, 2013 – Shelved
July 5, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 5, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 196 (196 new)

message 1: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige it does kinda scream HUNGER GAMES doesn't it

message 2: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Sure does, but even then, it does sound really interesting

message 3: by Eliza (new)

Eliza That's what I was worried about. It sounds just like HG, and I'm worried it will be a more lame version :\

message 4: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige i kinda agree with both of you

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties Whoa... I agree with you... It's crazy.

message 6: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Yeh but I'm just hoping it somehow ends up having its own individual unique twist so I kinda forget about the whole HG aspect

message 7: by Tirzah (new)

Tirzah But that's the problem isn't it? For every book out there there is something about it that is comparable to a different book, especially ones that get popular. Every YA book about teens in a violent competition is compared to The Hunger Games, every YA vampire book is compared to Twilight. There is no escaping it.

message 8: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree That's a heaps good point. But then again it doesn't stop me from reading them hahha

♥ Innocent Lamb ~ Forever Reading ♥ - AKA Smarties Nope. I still read the books hoping they'll be good. *grins*

message 10: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Ditto

message 11: by Piper (new) - added it

Piper Totally agree...but I love Lauren Oliver, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Shahd I thought so too, but after listening to chapters one, two, and three I realized that it's diffrent! they are available in my review if you'd like to have a listen :)

message 13: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Yep just gotta wait it out hahaha

Oh wow, is chapters 1,2&3 already out?!?

message 14: by Jodi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jodi Sheridan Why mark it to read if you're already dogging the book? I think Lauren Oliver is a smart and accomplished enough author to create her own work without ripping off another series.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel GOOD GOD, WOMAN! YOU READ MY MIND!!!

message 16: by Isabella (new) - added it

Isabella I don't think it sounds like HG... HG is dystopia, and I think that is what it is. Not in a bad way, because it is one of my favorite series. But The Hunger Games sort of awakened YA dystopia genre. Panic sounds like a thriller or something like it :)

message 17: by Heather (new)

Heather Morris yup my thoughts exactly, well i loved her the delirium series and was so disappointed with the requiem's lack of ending am going to be waiting to read reviews on this one ...... you can't top hunger games

message 18: by Isabella (new) - added it

Isabella Heather wrote: "yup my thoughts exactly, well i loved her the delirium series and was so disappointed with the requiem's lack of ending am going to be waiting to read reviews on this one ...... you can't top hunge..."

Yeah, that none-ending was PAINFUL! Hunger Games IS dystopia!

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather Morris Isabella wrote: "Heather wrote: "yup my thoughts exactly, well i loved her the delirium series and was so disappointed with the requiem's lack of ending am going to be waiting to read reviews on this one ...... you..."

there was so much bulid up it could have been epic then it just stopped and i was like "what the hell" i keep looking back and forth thinking i had missed something, but nope that was it .....

message 20: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Uh, I'm sorry but last time I checked, my review is my opinion and I'm entitled to say whatever I want. And I agree with you about Lauren Oliver, she's a wonderful writer. So I understand how you think she wouldn't rip off another series, I agree too. But the thing is the synopsis sounds so similar to HG, to me anyway, obviously not to others. And if you even read my last part in the review, I'm saying that I'm going to give the book the benefit of the doubt and give it a shot, putting aside my first assumption. So yeah, I can appreciate your feedback, so please respect mine.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bree wrote: "Uh, I'm sorry but last time I checked, my review is my opinion and I'm entitled to say whatever I want. And I agree with you about Lauren Oliver, she's a wonderful writer. So I understand how you t..."

Bree your review was 100% accurate. As soon as I read the synopsis I said OUT LOUD "what the F is this, Hunger Games?" It's ridiculous. It sounds like a more romantic version of Suzanne Collins' trilogy! The Delirium series was great, the "ending" (if you could even call it that) was awful, so I'm kinda POed at Ms Oliver for her lack of creativity. No matter how she decides to defend that ending, it was terrible and lacked any type of creative force at all. WOMP WOMP.

message 22: by Garima (last edited Jul 18, 2013 03:50PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Garima It kind of does sound like the Hunger Games, but I feel like Lauren Oliver knows better than to make a Hunger Games repeat. Besides, the Hunger Games aren't the first story to feature some kind of game with high stakes.

message 23: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Hahaha thankyou Rachel :) yeh I like delirium and pandemonium but I haven't gotten to read the last one yet, haha I'm kinda scared to now..I hate badly done endings that don't wrap it all up.

I mean the reason why I find this laughably similar to HG is how they're in a 'dead end town' the description of that place reminds me quite strongly of district 12.
Then you have the mention of the legendary games which again reminds me, obviously the traditional annual hunger games. Then you've got the whole thing about her finding something to fight for, which katniss does too;, her sister, her own survival, for Peeta, then for the rebel cause. I mean isn't that practically all very going along the same lines.
There's alliances, revelations and first love....needless to say, again the exact twists and elements that made up HG. So I don't know how some of you guys don't see it, but I can understand your adamance on not wanting to judge this book before even reading it, but you have to admit, both this story and HG are remarkably similar.
And I agree. Garima, it's a great point that HG isn't the only high staking game, like I think the maze runner is another kind of good example. So even though it may sound I'm bagging this book out, I'm actually not I'm just pointing out facts and coming to my own conclusion. However. Regardless the storyline, I'm actually so interested in this story :)

message 24: by Donna Selina (new) - added it

Donna Selina Bravo i know what you mean, i really hope it isn't going to be like the Hunger Games. Hunger Games was epic, but to have something else like it would be ... o.O but i'm still excited about what Lauren Oliver has in store for us. she's a really amazing author. i especially loved her debut novel Before I Fall, and i thought that the Delirium books were very good too :)

message 25: by Jodi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jodi Sheridan Obviously I was just adding my opinion to your opinion. Just wondering why you were out of the gate are accusing the author of what is tantamount to plagiarism. That's all.

message 26: by Bree (last edited Jul 28, 2013 05:14AM) (new) - added it

Bree Donna Selina wrote: "i know what you mean, i really hope it isn't going to be like the Hunger Games. Hunger Games was epic, but to have something else like it would be ... o.O but i'm still excited about what Lauren Ol..."

Yeh Donna! :) so excited too!

Jodi, I get your opinion and you're entitled to it as I am to mine. So I don't know why you're putting so much thought into what my opinion is and how what I'm saying is supposedly like plagiarism, which I actually am not getting at at all... Plagiarism is an exact copy, whereas this blurb just has elements so very similar to HG. And for the record, I'm not the only one thinking this, nor am I accusing -I think accusing is a little heavy for what I am simply stating as my own view- the author of really anything besides a similar HG elements. That's all.

message 27: by Nelva (new) - added it

Nelva My thoughts exactly

message 28: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison H. I so agree. Ot sounds almost exactly like The Hunger Games.

But I'm gonna read it anyway

Because Lauren's books are amazing

And The Hunger Games is amazing

message 29: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Ditto Madison, still gunna read it regardless of the similarities :)

message 30: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison H. Bree wrote: "Ditto Madison, still gunna read it regardless of the similarities :)"

Yeah

pretty much what i meant :)

message 31: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Great minds think alike hahaha

message 32: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison H. Bree wrote: "Great minds think alike hahaha"

haha yah

that's exactly what my stepmom says (by the way, she's a cool mom, not a nerdy mom :))

message 33: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Hahaha glad she one of those awesome mums and not the stereotypical stepmoms fairytales always show hahaa

message 34: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison H. Bree wrote: "Hahaha glad she one of those awesome mums and not the stereotypical stepmoms fairytales always show hahaa"

hahahahahaha yah!!

message 35: by Maya (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maya Bree: I totally agree with you! The second I read the synopsis I was like, "Huh. This sounds a heck of a lot like the Hunger Games!" I read the entire Delirium trilogy, and even though I liked the first one, I hated the last two. But I enjoyed Before I Fall, so I'm willing to give Panic a chance.

message 36: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison H. When is the book coming out?

message 37: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Hahaha thanks Maya!! :) yeh, I really love Lauren Oliver's writing and I liked the Delirium series so far, admittedly I haven't finished the last one which is what many people are saying is bad so I'm really hesitant to read it. Ditto! Giving it a chance regardless :)

And Madison pretty sure it's coming out March 4th of next year :)

message 38: by Madison (new) - added it

Madison H. Bree wrote: "Hahaha thanks Maya!! :) yeh, I really love Lauren Oliver's writing and I liked the Delirium series so far, admittedly I haven't finished the last one which is what many people are saying is bad so ..."

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FAR AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way thanks :)

message 39: by Vy (new) - added it

Vy It doesn't sound like THG to me. This ISN'T a dystopian, where the kids are forced to participate. It's a choice, and I think it's more about an internal battle between you and your fears alone instead of a battle between yourself and others. :]

message 40: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Yeh valid point, I see where you're coming from, but hahaha it still reminds me strongly of THG

Anna (Bananas) It sounds disappointingly generic for this author.

message 42: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Yeh unfortunately. But I'm just hoping it turns out differently. Which it probably will, but right now the blurb isn't so hope inspiring

message 43: by Asser (new) - added it

Asser I love Lauren Oliver but yeah, it sounds like Hunger Games.

message 44: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Yeh unfortunately right? Sucks but I still wanna read it hahahaha no matter what!!! :D

message 45: by Asser (new) - added it

Asser Me too! :D I'll still read it! Haha.

message 46: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie G That was my thought exactly! I'm still going to give it a try because I loved Before I Fall, but yeah, this sounds exactly like the Hunger Games.

Anna (Bananas) Well, her last series sounded like several others out at the time, and it was good, so there's hope.

message 48: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Hahahaha yes there's always a bright side to everything :)

I really wanna read before I fall!!!!! Is it good?

Danie Randomly came across your review, lol. Sorry about that. Anyway, it does sound a LOT like HG with the blurb, but I'm reading it now (eARC from Edelweiss) and it's nothing like it. I'm actually really enjoying it.

message 50: by Bree (new) - added it

Bree Hahaha feel free to comment ahaha :) oooooohhhh yaaaaay!!!!! That's so great to hear!!! You'll have to give me your feedback when you finish!!!

« previous 1 3 4