Claudia's Reviews > Stained

Stained by Cheryl Rainfield

bookshelves: 2013-book-challenge-150, ya-books, suspense-fiction

I read this in July as an advance reading copy and couldn't review...NOW I can! Woohoo.

Cheryl Rainfield is one of the bravest people I know. She has faced some of the most harrowing events anyone could...as a defenseless child. She creates characters who find themselves in similar kinds of peril, and she uses her own horrors to bring reality to her books.

Stained...that's how Sarah feels. The port-wine stain that covers part of her face deeply affects the way she is seen by others and how she sees herself. She can be fierce in defense of others, but so very vulnerable when it comes to self defense. She knows she's being judged by her peers, but she can't help but do her own share of judging...Nick, who has such a crush on her but is nerdy and overweight, Charlene, who's desperate to be accepted.

All Sarah's hopes for a 'normal' life shatter in the first pages. Her dream of flawless skin explodes as she learns her father's business has been destroyed and the family has nothing...nothing but each other. Like so many other teens, that's JUST NOT ENOUGH. Her resentment blocks out her parents' words and she becomes even more bitter.

Then, she's abducted, held prisoner, starved, raped, attacked, tortured mentally and emotionally. Through it all, she learns how very strong she really is.

Nick narrates his own chapters as he bonds with Sarah's parents, fiercely pursuing leads, harassing the police for results. We see Nick grow too, gaining confidence and a faith in his own gifts.

Sarah never gives up, even after it's apparent her abductor plans to kill her.

I LOVE the line from the front of the book. It reflects Cheryl and it reflects Sarah: "Sometimes you have to be your own hero."

Cheryl saved herself those years ago, so she could create Sarah...who saved herself. As hard as her books are to read sometimes, as hard as it is to admit the reality in these books IS reality for some children, Cheryl uses all her courage to put these difficult stories out there, so kids who need this message will find their own courage: sometimes you have to be your own hero. Isn't that a message we want all young people to internalize?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stained.

July 5, 2013 – Started Reading
July 5, 2013 – Shelved
July 5, 2013 –
page 62
20.39% "Action gets intense quickly!"
July 7, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013-book-challenge-150