Katherine Coble's Reviews > Virgin River

Virgin River by Robyn Carr

Aug 02, 2009

liked it
Read from July 02 to 03, 2017 , read count: 1

This was my third read-through of this book.
Oddly, it's not my FAVOURITE book--it's a fine read, but there are definite problems. The main character spends too much time declaring she won't stay. The love interest spends too much time fretting over the main character's dead husband. The big downfall for me is the preachiness about marijuana. A portion of the story is about illegal growers and how awful they are. As a proponent for legalised cannabis I felt like the book was trying very hard to demonize marijuana. There IS a throwaway line toward the end where the male lead says something about how if pot were legal they wouldn't have to worry about protecting their women. But that's the only remotely pro-cannabis bit, and it comes after 300 pages of "drugs are bad, mmmmkay?" Chronically ill people like me are ill-served by plotlines like this one.

As to why I've read a 3-star book three times:
The Virgin River series (as far as I've read--14 of 20) is mostly terrific, and it's a fun world to escape into. The 2nd, 4th, and 5th books are my favourites. And I have to read this one for completeness' sake.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Virgin River.

07/05 marked as: read