♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Parasite

Parasite by Mira Grant

bookshelves: dnf

I was looking forward to this story, but unfortunately it just didn't work for me. Instead of feeling horror at events described (which I think is what the author was going for) I was just bored. Probably doesn't help that there's frequent info dumping in between actual plot progression.

Also, the story felt very similar to the Feed/Newsflesh series which I liked overall, but not enough to read/listen to another 500+ pages worth. I had just read *listened* to the Newsflesh series over the last two months, so maybe the close time between reads made the similarities stand out more to me. Others may not have the same issue.

I'm not going to rate this because even though I did read 85 pages that's still only 17% of this book.

A copy was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parasite.

July 4, 2013 – Shelved
July 4, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 19, 2014 – Started Reading
May 19, 2014 –
1.0% "This is another long audiobook by Mira Grant but she always manages to make them pretty engrossing."
May 21, 2014 –
page 85
16.87% "This is just feeling way too similar to the Newsflesh/Feed series. I'm not getting the horror I'm guessing in supposed to feel from this. If this doesn't pick up it's going to be a DNF soon."
May 21, 2014 – Finished Reading
May 22, 2014 – Shelved as: dnf
November 18, 2014 – Shelved as: dnf
January 24, 2015 – Shelved as: dnf

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» That really blows! :( I haven't read many zombie-esque type books or any horror for that matter, but I'll know to keep away from this one, when I get into this genre. Sorry, this didn't work out for you, Rachel. :( Hope your next read puts a smile on your face! :) Great mini-review/thoughts! :))

♥Rachel♥ MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» wrote: "That really blows! :( I haven't read many zombie-esque type books or any horror for that matter, but I'll know to keep away from this one, when I get into this genre. Sorry, this didn't work out fo..."

Thank you, Maida! I really enjoyed her Newsflesh series so if you like zombie stories, I recommend that one. :)

message 3: by Baba (new)

Baba  Hope your next read will be a winner, Rachel! :)

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra Sorry it didn't work out for you, Rachel! Better luck with the next one! :)

message 5: by Bethany (new)

Bethany That stinks that this didn’t work out for you. I’ve been having that issue to often lately and don’t like it. Better luck on the next one. Happy a fun weekend!!

message 6: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Sorry this didn't work out, Rachel. Thank you for the honest review though. :)

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "MåїÐ»-(¯`v´¯)-» wrote: "That really blows! :( I haven't read many zombie-esque type books or any horror for that matter, but I'll know to keep away from this one, when I get into this genre. Sorry..."

I'll definitely look at that series! Thanks for the rec! :D

message 8: by • Lisa • (new)

• Lisa • Onto the next eh friend xx

♥Rachel♥ Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter wrote: "Hope your next read will be a winner, Rachel! :)"

Thank you, Baba. :) It pains me to DNF but I only have so much time to read. Not going to waste it.

message 10: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ Debra wrote: "Sorry it didn't work out for you, Rachel! Better luck with the next one! :)"

Thank you, Debra! :)

message 11: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ Laura wrote: "Sorry this didn't work out, Rachel. Thank you for the honest review though. :)"

Thanks, Laura. I know you had issues with this one, too. Sucks.

message 12: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ Bethany wrote: "That stinks that this didn’t work out for you. I’ve been having that issue to often lately and don’t like it. Better luck on the next one. Happy a fun weekend!!"

I know, but onto the next one. I'm getting to this comment late, but thank you, Bethany! I hope your weekend has gone well, too! Are you in the process of moving?

message 13: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ Lisa Jayne wrote: "Onto the next eh friend xx"

Thanks Lisa! xo :)

message 14: by Baba (new)

Baba  ♥Rachel♥ wrote: "Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter wrote: "Hope your next read will be a winner, Rachel! :)"

I'm so with you, Rachel! :)

message 15: by ♥Rachel♥ (new) - added it

♥Rachel♥ Aditi wrote: "I LOVED the Newsflesh trilogy!! I got the audio for Parasite right after I finished Blackout.
Sad you couldn't get into it, Rachel :(
I really hope that I like it. I so need a nice edgy book to re..."

I hope you like it more, Aditi. It felt a little too similar but you may not have the same reaction. Looking forward to your thoughts. :)